« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Super Bowl Hero: Gay Marriage Will Lead to 'Anarchy'

6/16/2011 6:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ex-NY Giants receiver David Tyree -- who made the LEGENDARY helmet catch in Super Bowl XLII -- is coming out against gay marriage HARD ... claiming it's the first step on the road to "ANARCHY."061511_david_tyree_still

Tyree made the statements during an interview earlier today with the National Organization for Marriage -- a faith-based anti-gay marriage group.

During the interview, Tyree is asked about the push to legalize gay marriage in the United States -- and says if it happens, "This will be the beginning of our country sliding toward ... it's a strong word, but anarchy."

0615_David_Tyree_GETTY
To reinforce his point, Tyree says, "You can't teach something that you don't have ... so two men will never be able to show a woman how to be a woman."

And the kicker, Tyree -- who's black -- says, "How can marriage be marriage for thousands of years and now all the sudden because a minority, an influential minority, has a push or agenda ... and totally reshapes something that was not founded in our country."

FYI -- Tyree's statement comes almost 44 years to the day after interracial marriage was legalized in the United States ... thanks, in part, to the agenda of an influential minority.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Whocaires Whocaires

David Tyree is 100% RIGHT. Do we vilify a gay man for saying a heterosexual lifestyle is wrong? Of course not - that would be bigotry. We can NO LONGER speak up in this country, or disagree with someone or something without immediately being called a bigot or racist. Our country is falling apart - and we're wondering why. Look around us. Anything goes now, and it coincides with the social agendas being forced down our throats.

lalalalauren lalalalauren

Classy. I am so glad he is staying true to his minority roots. Oh wait...

Ed Ed

Now he will get slammed for saying something he believes in. I applaud him for taking a stand against immorality.

tmz-top-comments-banner
Regah Regah

Uh, weren't blacks an influential minority not long ago? I remember people saying the same thing about civil rights of African Americans. He sounds like a rich white guy 50 years ago.

Updog Updog

If marriage is so sacred then we should outlaw divorce.

Nick Benson Sr Nick Benson Sr

Good going Tyree!! Finally someone to stand up for what is right! Real men stand up for what they believe in and don't apologize like the wimps Kobe and Obama! Tyree, you are awesome!

MeMe MeMe

It's wonderful to see such an influential man standing up for what he believes in. We need more like him!

TheMarshmallowMan TheMarshmallowMan

Why does anyone care who someone marries, grow the f up. The strongest empires (greek and rome) embraced homosexuality and only faltered when Christianity took over. Maybe he should pick up a history book.

Phil Alger Phil Alger

Lets get real! It's wrong all you all know it! Marriage is between a woman & a man! Now how would you multiple any other way! Please don't be so stupid to say a surrogate, that just enforces what I said!

Little Lord Rivas Little Lord Rivas

Strong words for a guy who catches balls in his face.

Bee Bee

I applaud this young man for speaking up.

lizzimmer lizzimmer

David Tyree was raised by a single mother and has 2 sisters. Yet SOMEHOW he managed to "learn to be a man". Sort of flies in the face of his asinine logic, no?

Whocaires Whocaires

lalalalauren lalalalauren

Classy. I am so glad he is staying true to his minority roots. Oh wait...

Ed Ed

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Regah

Dragon Tattoo

GLAAD and TMZ seem to want BULLY everyone who does not share their opinion into making apologies, this is getting old. This site is becoming like PerezHilton, I am sure he has picked up on this and is having a stroke right now. I don't visit his site because of his rants against anyone who doesn't agree with his agenda.

The guy has the right to defend his religious believes whether or not TMZ or Glaad agree with him or not. Now TMZ and GLAAD stop your bullying. I am not saying I agree with him or not, but it just seems NO ONE can speak their mind about certain issues.

Diana Cornejo

I COULDNT AGREE MORE! SOMEONE MUST SPEAK UP! MARRIAGE IS BETWEEN A MAN AND A WOMAN.. HOW MANY TIME DO WE HAVE TO SAY IT. AND IM SORRY TO ANYONE WHO IS OFFENDED BY THIS...BUT ITS 100%.

john5oregon

@LuvLeeRita- I am so sick of hearing "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" and all the other Bible thumping crap. I thought God loved everyone, and didn't have a list.

frank

Strong words from someone who not so many years ago couldn't marry who he chose either....Gay people are married in this country, has the world ended yet???

chris

We need to remember the divorce rate in the US is aprx 50% - I say let the gays have a shot at it....we've taken over slummy parts of cities and made them NICE (straights THEN move in), woman consult their gay friends on their outfits (and we do tell those jeans make your ass look big) - since you straights have F'd up marriage so badly, lets us GAYS have a chance to fix then you can have it back.

Ashley

This guy is an idiot. Whoever asked his opinion on this matter is also an idiot. People thought it was an outrage at first when interracial couples could marry, but that controversy has long blown over. Gay people are people too, no better and no worse than straight people. Don't like it? Get your head out of your butt, get into this century, MAKE A DECISION FOR YOURSELF WITHOUT SAYING IT'S BECAUSE OF YOUR FAITH, and quit being so selfish.

Jah36

Race does not equate to a behavior. We can't control our race, but we can control our behavior. Wise up people!

doll

Isn't that what the Southerns said about freeing slaves? Idiot.

justsaying

Why is that idiot comparing interracial marriage with homosexual marriage? When they can have kids the natural way we'll talk, because right now all I see are sick people who can't/won't behave the way God wants them to.

Bee

Why is it that pro-gay marriage people are allowed to exercise their freedom of speech regarding gay marriage, yet when we pro-traditional marriage folks attempt to speak up we are accused of being closet gays, accused of having white KKK sheets in our closets, and we are attacked until our careers suffer?

It makes no sense to me.

Why do YOU (pro-gay) deserve the right to speak freely about what you believe but I (pro-traditional) am not allowed to do so?

I don't preach hate. I love the sinner, but not the sin. I don't approve of the gay lifestyle and I certainly do not approve of making a mockery of the institution of marriage by making gay marriage legal.

So why can't I speak up about what I believe, just like YOU do?

Roger

The only thing meaner than a pitbull, tazmanian devil or liberal is a queer liberal.

They spout hatred for religious people, normal people, heterosexuals. Every time they open their mouths to criticize someone they do not agree with, they berate the other person's intelligence ("brain-dead, retard, moron, etc") or moral standards ("bible-thumper, inbred, crusader").

For once, I would like to hear from a liberal, even a homosexual one, who is rational, calm, intelligent, polite and has a grasp of what it is to be a civilized individual. I have never met one. I guess the lonely few pretty much keep to themselves.

Or are there any?

Matt

Good grief. Seriously? Anarchy? People doing what they are doing already being allowed to insure each other and things of that nature, as well as being allowed the same piece of paper a person like me is are going to lead us to anarchy?

And two men CAN teach a girl to be a woman. My gay friend's daughters are no less feminine than any other girls.

NOFXMAN

PEOPLE FORGET THAT THIS IS AMERICA, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE AGAINST OR FOR ANYTHING AND SPEAK UP ABOUT IT. ALL THESE PEOPLE CALLING DAVID TYREE NAMES HAVE NO RESPECT FOR AMERICA, HAVE LOW SELF ESTEEM AND NEED TO SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT PEOPLE TO MAKE THEIR LIVES SEEM BETTER. AND YES I SAID THEY HAVE NO RESPECT FOR AMERICA!!!

DAVID YOU ARE THE MAN!!

Jen

OhWell less than a minute ago

moussemaker 5 minutes ago

Dumbäss.
There's no anarchy in countries like Canada, Spain or Sweden which allow gay marriages.
============================================
Then All The Gay People
Should Just Move Out Of
The USA.
===============
maybe you should move to a country like Iran then you can have all the opressive governments you seem to want pull your head out this is the country of the FREE not the country of lets try to pray out the gay