« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Gay Rights Org. Calls Malarkey on 'Anarchy' Claim

6/16/2011 8:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A powerful gay rights organization claims Super Bowl hero David Tyree is wrong -- legalizing gay marriage will NOT send our country into a state of "anarchy" ... and there's proof all over the world.

0616_david_tyree_hrc_getty_ex

A rep for the Human Rights Campaign tells TMZ ... "Anarchy? Hardly. Committed gay and lesbian couples have been able to legally marry in five states and the District of Columbia — not to mention a number of foreign countries — for years now and cows are still giving milk, little boys are still pulling little girls’ pig tails, and we still drive on the right side of the street."

The rep adds, "New York’s passage of this law will result in nothing more than a more just and equitable society."

Jarret Barrios -- President of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation -- ain't holding back either, telling us, "Tyree’s statements are as misleading as they are ridiculous, and do not accurately reflect the growing acceptance that we're seeing from sports stars like Charles Barkley, Steve Nash, Sean Avery, Brendon Ayanbadejo, Scott Fujita and fellow former Giant Michael Strahan."

061611_david_tyree_videoAs TMZ previously reported ... the former NY Giants star took a very hard line against gay marriage during an interview yesterday with a faith-based organization called the National Organization for Marriage.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

What does it matter?

"little boys are still pulling little girls’ pig tails"...the way it was meant to be

gingerale

Wow.... and this is coming from a guy who's on top of men half the time trying to catch a ball....classy

Warren

Harvey, Harvey, Harvey, time to grow up and accept that people will always speak their minds. Get out of your tiny little bubble and realize that that you are the LeBron James of the media and everybody in your bubble is appeasing you so you keep PAYING THEM.

Non story.

KALKevin

Shady, if someone mistook you for a gay person, you wouldn't hesitate to correct them and proclaim you're straight. The only reason you don't find it necessary to say, "I'm straight" is that nobody presumes otherwise, and nobody is trying to trample on your rights for being straight. So get off your ridiculous argument about gay people "advertising" our sexual orientation. It really shows how desperate your argument is when you resort to such pablum.

St James III

Billy..i said DISTINCTIVE as in rights that are not related or by-products of the ONE right that's the bone of contention.

Most of those are based on that one right which is what i addressed earlier.

1) Invalid. "Rights" drastically change once you're in the military and are not consistent with Civil Rights. And i always found "Serving Openly" a weird statement. Because how does one sexually serve in an open fashion? There's a lot of other things you can't do in the military as well that some people would consider a "right". Doesn't mean that should change. It's the MILITARY.

4) Homosexual people are eligible for Social Security benefits...this is inaccurate.

9) This is inaccurate as well...as you say yourself in some states....so to say homosexuals don't have that right perios is inaccurate.

And EVERY OTHER thing you listed is based on the so-called right of "Gay Marriage".

So you have failed to list 10 distinctive rights homosexuals don't have that straights do that are DISTINCTIVE and not related to the one right so called "Gays" are pushing so hard for today.

You're welcome try again.

____________

To AI

Actually you're wrong....Homosexuals have pretty much the same rights as straight people. Everything that's at issue is based on legalities.

It is NOT against the law to be Homosexual. Nobody is denying anyone a right to be homosexual.

That is a fact.

Lobbying for the benefits listed above is nothing more than attaining certain lawful benefits based on a union. BENEFITS...not RIGHTS.

No matters what the law says you can be with whoever you want too in this country.

And of course the obvious solution for all of this would be "Civil Unions" as opposed to "Marriage" if you care more about those benefits than what you want to call your union.

Ashley

Muppet: You obviously haven't read much. The reason you're not already enlightened is because you're a f*g and you'll find out firsthand where that road leads to if you don't realise you need medical help.

Ashley

"Do you think it is OK that gays do not have the same rights as straights?"

YES it's ok that sexual deviants do not have the same rights precisely because they're not straight. These freaks need to get medical & mental assistance.

ClarkGriswold

I like how TMZ will only call it a "rant" if they feel it is wrong. If it was a statement they agreed with, they would no call it a rant." Not the most objective reporting. Obviously slanted.

CC

Too funny. So you expect a gay rights group to confirm this guy's statement? Right....

Of course I find a group labeling itself as 'gay rights' kind of funny in the first place since a majority, if not all, of their members are actually bi-sexual.

Billy

St. James, I've been with my parter for years, if he died I would not recieve his social security benefits, nor would our joint property automatically go to me as his next of kin.

To me, it doesn't really matter how YOU percieve my rights being violated or not. The truth is that they are. I believe in personal freedom as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's rights. I don't infringe on your rights but you seem quite happy to supprot denying me mine.

CC

Billy less than a minute ago

--------------------------------------------------------------

Billy, in that same train of thought the polygamists and pedophiles are also having their rights violated. When will you get on the bandwagon and start championing their causes?

St James III

Billy

Again, you are speaking on things that are related to the so called ONE RIGHT that gays are lobbying for which is not distinctive outside of the parameters of "The right To gay Marriage"

Homosexuals however are not denied the "right" to social security benefits directly.

Bottom line is that is YOUR TRUTH that others may share based on the fact your are homosexuals and others that feel sympathy based on the concept of "Equal Rights" in a general sense and not the details and even whether that is truly a civil right.

It's not about my perception it's about the facts.

I don't know you to want to infringe on anything that has to do with you no matter how you define yourself. I'm also not in a position to "deny" you anything or "infringe" on anything related to you.

I just present the facts. Nothing more nothing less.

I don't even consider myself as a straight person having a "right" to a lot of that stuff. Those are nothing more than benefits based on government recognition of a relationship i may have in the future.

So there's nothing for you to infringe on anyway.

Helen Van Patterson Patton

What an ignorant man. Oh well. He's entitled to his opinion. I believe same sex marriage will be legal all over the US in about 10 years. I always LOL at people crying "the gay agenda" when they have been forcing their conservative agenda down everyone's throats for years.

JAN

He's a dumb jock that will most likely get arrested for assult, or for some drunken brawl or for beating up a chick. Yeah, his opinion REALLY matters! He should just zip his homophobic mouth up. And for all of you claiming "freedom of speech" YOU ARE TRYING TO STOP PEOPLE FROM COMMENTING ABOUT HIS COMMENT. PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH! This guy said something stupid and hurtful during a critical time in our history where these idiot politicians are trying to condem gays and lesbians because of their BACKWARDS FUNDAMENTALIST HYPOCRITICAL VIEWS. The Human Rights Campaign has the responsibility to say something in the defense of such an ignorant man.

Karla

I read people talking about rights on here and how they only want their rights and they do not want them violated for what they believe.

It seems though many people have no problem stomping on David Tyree's rights to his opinion and his right to express it.

Just for the record I do not agree with Mr Tyree's statement but it is his right to make it.