Clarence Clemons Dies

6/19/2011 6:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary saxophonist Clarence Clemons died today of complications from a stroke he suffered back on June 12. He was 69.

0613_clarence_clemons_getty_bn
Clemons, known to fans as the Big Man, was the most famous member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. His music cut through on songs like "Born To Run," "Thunder Road," "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out," and "Dancing In The Dark"... and on and on.

Bruce Springsteen released a statement, saying, "Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage. His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly forty years."

The statement continued, "He was my great friend, my partner, and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band."

Clemons was married five times and had four sons --  Clarence III, Charles, Christopher and Jarod.

0613_CLARENCE_CLEMONS_remembering_footer

andy springsteen

eccl. 3:1. "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven". Clarence's "season" was rivaled only by his "purpose". God used Clarence Clemons and his music in an incredibly tremendous way. Thanks for blessing all of us with your soulful style of music for all of these years. I'm sure you are resting comfortably right now. Most likely in the middle of that front row of that big concert hall in the sky. Clarence Clemons: (1942-2011)

Fliss

U rocked lad!!! Keep it goin in the sky....we love ya!!

Sunshine

I guess God needed a saxophonist! What a huge loss for E Street! RIP Big Man

Maria

Such sad news, rest in peace Big Man.

ELDON WHEELER

I was lucky enough to see Bruce and Clarence in concert 5 times,truly the greatest rock and roll shows ever. The big man was the greatest sax player that rock music has ever had.I am saddened by the loss of such a great person. R.I.P. BIGMAN

cliff

R I P big man you were the best god bless you

Tricia c

Knew the big man
Sad beyond words

darin

just had to drop what i was doing and put on jungleland. one of the first songs i fell in love with and put me on over a 30 year friendship with the music of THE E STREET BAND

Sam

RIP Clarence, you were such a gentleman to me awhich is why I always cherished our late night talks at the dining room table. Thanks for being so sweet! xoxoxo

agold

Wow. We've lost yet another truly gifted man. The world mourns and presents us with more Spears and Gaga. I can't wait for the asteroid to smash into this planet.

NightOwl

What an incredible loss. The world has lost an incredibly man. My prayers go out to his family...Keep rockin' in heaven.

Donna

Clarence, you will be missed my friend. Thanks for all the great sax solos, all the glory days with the E-Street Band and for being such a great guy. So many of us love you and wish you peace on your journey. Thanks for the memories and for being a positive driving force in Bruce's band. XO

karen darvin

I cannot be lieve i woke up to this sad new, Oh man, Clarence, i hardly ever saw you anymore s ince Bruce and i were together so long long ago, but you were a ways my favorite.the sweetest man on Earth. I wish i didn't see this toady on Father's day, but I now your are somewhere good. I'm sorry to your family and esp Bruce, that guy sure did love and appreciate you.RIP Big Kahuna

karen darvin

i was so u pset, sorry about my ridiculous spelling mistakes.Between losing my dad 3 years ago and this news i t's going to be a rough day , but thank goodness for family.

footballisus

Not only did he do some incredible saxaphone work that will stand the test of time in the far far far future.I know he did vocals with Jackson Browne ona song I think called You Are A friend Of Mine. He sounds really good on it too!