Roger Ebert: 'I Was Probably Too Quick to Tweet'

6/21/2011 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Roger Ebert says he "was probably too quick to tweet" about the car crash that killed "Jackass" star Ryan Dunn yesterday ... explaining that his post was "not intended as cruel."

0621_ebert_bam_BN_01

Ebert just blogged about the situation on his website -- saying, "To begin with, I offer my sympathy to Ryan Dunn's family and friends, and to those of Zachary Hartwell, who also died in the crash. I mean that sincerely. It is tragic to lose a loved one."

Ebert continues, "I also regret that my tweet about the event was considered cruel. It was not intended as cruel. It was intended as true."

Ebert explains that he wrote the tweet based on preliminary reports and admits, "I have no way of knowing if Ryan Dunn was drunk at the time of his death."

"I don't know what happened in this case, and I was probably too quick to tweet. That was unseemly."

0621_ebert_tweet_yesterday

Ebert, however, staunchly defends the message in his tweet -- that people should NOT drink and drive -- saying, "I do know that nobody has any business driving on a public highway at 110 mph, as some estimated -- or fast enough, anyway, to leave a highway and fly through 40 yards of trees before crashing."

"That is especially true if the driver has had three shots and three beers. Two people were killed. What if the car had crashed into another car?"

As we previously reported, Dunn's friend Bam Margera WENT OFF on Ebert last night -- telling the movie critic to shut his "f**king mouth" about Dunn's crash.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Canon

What a wonderful role model this person was!

Prince Mongo

He (Dunn) was a dumbass, and got himself killed. I will shed no tears, I don't fault anyone saying whats on their minds at the times.

Really?

It's Roger Ebert, not Robert dimwits

DPG

Oh, Roger. Don't backtrack. Stick to your guns. Nothing you said was wrong.

amy&riley

Roger Ebert-Thank You for the acknowldgement of your bad decision. You do not have to tweet everything you are thinking. At your age I expected more class and dignity to be given to anyone's family and friends at this time of sorrow.

Sonja

It's too bad he felt so bullied as to have to respond to the likes of Baby Bam-bam but it certainly shows class and he explained himself. Won't stop the cry babies from cussing and defending drunk driving though.. oh sorry they aren't defending drunk driving just don't want it mentioned out of 'respect'.

Jess

Ebert may be an ass, but he was right on the mark. Dunn was an idiot who killed himself and someone else. Period.

lander

I know ebert didn't like the Hangover movies, so maybe that's why he tweeted it.

djdeej94

Well, he apologized. He tweeted too soon. Technology makes it so we react & comment before thinking... he apologized - that's what matters... and to "Vanhalen-rocks-on", nice comment on Roger's appearance? Really? He's had devastating throat cancer & lost parts of his body.. smooth move jerk! He apologized. Will you?

Carolyn

He has no business apologizing. It's good that someone is using this to teach people about drinking and driving

Ross

A simple "I am sorry my tweet offended anyone" would have done Roger.

Gsharon 710

Looking back on his first comment, I applaud him for his second, however the message , or intent, was true for us all. Be good friends and help save lives.

a hodge

This is what happens when you drink and drive.. What do you think would have happened when it happens... Get over it.. Praise the lord He didn't hurt another car... It would have been much worse...

Caligirl

It is a sad and tragic loss but the Jackass was drinking and driving and he could have killed other innocent people. I stand by Ebert on this.

Brandon

EBERT'S COMMENTS ARE TRUE. Better they die than some innocent child!!! I feel for their families but not for them.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments