Roger Ebert: 'I Was Probably Too Quick to Tweet'

6/21/2011 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Roger Ebert says he "was probably too quick to tweet" about the car crash that killed "Jackass" star Ryan Dunn yesterday ... explaining that his post was "not intended as cruel."

0621_ebert_bam_BN_01

Ebert just blogged about the situation on his website -- saying, "To begin with, I offer my sympathy to Ryan Dunn's family and friends, and to those of Zachary Hartwell, who also died in the crash. I mean that sincerely. It is tragic to lose a loved one."

Ebert continues, "I also regret that my tweet about the event was considered cruel. It was not intended as cruel. It was intended as true."

Ebert explains that he wrote the tweet based on preliminary reports and admits, "I have no way of knowing if Ryan Dunn was drunk at the time of his death."

"I don't know what happened in this case, and I was probably too quick to tweet. That was unseemly."

0621_ebert_tweet_yesterday

Ebert, however, staunchly defends the message in his tweet -- that people should NOT drink and drive -- saying, "I do know that nobody has any business driving on a public highway at 110 mph, as some estimated -- or fast enough, anyway, to leave a highway and fly through 40 yards of trees before crashing."

"That is especially true if the driver has had three shots and three beers. Two people were killed. What if the car had crashed into another car?"

As we previously reported, Dunn's friend Bam Margera WENT OFF on Ebert last night -- telling the movie critic to shut his "f**king mouth" about Dunn's crash.

Previous 15 Comments | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29

Mother Nature

It was spot-on. No apology necessary or needed.

Lisa

Mr. Ebert has no need to apologize. As it turns out, respectively so, Ryan had twice the legal alcohol limit in his bloodstream, and he chose to drive himself home with a passenger in tow. Instead of hiring a cab or calling for a designated driver. The facts speak for themselves. He acted like a jackass and died as a result of it.. he had every opportunity before getting behind the wheel. I'm sorry for his deceased friend and his family. Let this be a lesson.

Shaddie

The jackass guys don't think this is funny? I thought their entire existence was based on wreckless and risky stunts? What about all the kids that died attempting the stupidity they loved so much. I guess its not so funny now. Maybe it was a bad idea. REST IN PIECES RYAN!!

BellaWilla

Ebert is a wuss for apologizing. I say Good Riddance to Ryan Dunn...what a dumbass!He could have killed a family or children, etc. with his stupid actions. People who drive drunk are plain SELFISH, thus the reason for my comment.

cliffD

Ryan was an awesome guy all you people who feel the need to talk down about what happened to him, shut the F**K up and leave it all off line, none of you are on here talkin about anyone else who drives too fast, likes to party, then gets in an accident the only reason you are is he was doing way better than any of you so there for you feel justified just stop being ********.
Too the whole Jackass Family I am very sorry for your loss Ryan was an awesome person that brought so much to the table he will be sorely sorely missed. We will really miss you buddy R.I.P.

Stormy

"Awesome people" don't kill Iraq veterans by getting drunk and getting behind the wheel of a car. Stupid alcoholic murderers do.

Frank A

Ebert's remarks were exactly on target the first time. You don't drink and drive. Period. People have to stop having romantic ideas about being a drunken fool as something fun and lovable and realize it's a sickness. Don't drink!

jeremy

rodger you can **** right off, ***git.

MARGETALICA

RODGER WAS RIGHT. FIN

Elizabeth

Ebert was accurate and I don't think he should have to apologize. So many of these "stars" today, drink, do drugs, act stupid, and we just laugh it off. Two people were killed by reckless driving and drinking. Totally stupid. I wa***** by a drunk driver 11 years ago, lost most of my eyesight in left eye, can't lift one arm correctly, and one leg and knee remind me constantly of this. And the man was so drunk that he did not even realize what had happened. So, why do we punish Ebert for telling it the way it is. They were drunk and that amount of speed is reckless driving, it not a higher charge. What if they had hit another car, at that speed more might be dead!

jackasslover

you go bam your the best im sorry for ryan dunn i love him like i love the jackass cast but ebert deserves to be yelled at i hate him ebert is soo stupid i bet ebert aka ******* wouldent like it if people made fun of him wen hes dead gosh dont worry ebert ill make fun of u u dont do that to the jackass cast their the best no one likes ebert blahhhhh suck it I LOVE YOU BAM AND I LOVE RYAN DUNN EBERT SHOULD BUGG OFF

smiley

Roger Ebert is one ugly motherfuker how many plastic surgery's dose he get? i am on bams side! Roger Ebert is a moron/loser why dose he have to comment about ryans dunn death? like really mind your own biss!how would you feel if your mom died or someone on your side of the family you loved so much! & ppl started to tweet dumb **** about your family member death? huh? roger ebert? so shut your ******* mouth you HYPOCRITE. think before you talk roger ebert! p.s you look like, "The Thing"(the movie) with plastic surgery.

Previous 15 Comments | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29