'CHiPs' Star Erik Estrada

BEWARE 'Carmageddon'

6/24/2011 4:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Former "CHiPs" star Erik Estrada -- who played one of the most famous CHP officers of all time -- is back in action ... this time, with a warning to L.A. drivers ... about "CARMAGEDDON."

0623_eric_estrada_ex_getty

Sources tell TMZ, Erik will be filming the PSA next week -- telling L.A. drivers how to avoid the massive 3-day closure of the 405 freeway from July 15th-July 18th ... a closure that is sure to paralyze the entire L.A. area.

Erik -- a real-life reserve officer -- tells us, he's always happy to help out his fellow cops ... "When law enforcement asks for help, the answer is always yes."

Way to go, Ponch.

Kiki

Wow, couldn't you find a MORE unflattering picture of the man?

lala

My mom had a crush on him.

Jim

How come there`s no report tab on the first page?

djdeej94

Ponch! I was little when CHiPS came out & I was TOTALLY gonna marry Ponch... being a white bread girl in the middle of Iowa with no friends for miles & 3 channels "when" the reception on the top of the barn worked... sigh... memories... I did travel the world and I DID MARRY A Puerto Rican from the island... Ponch... thanks for the memories dude - I landed one, it just wasn't you... LOL!

Shark

i met him in my one trip from canada to Los angeles and he stopped for a picture and was a really cool dude.

Liz

way to go djdeej94...you are too funny!!lol
He seems like a nice guy...

Angie

Nice guy, As my brothers best friend when living in Spanish Harlem he was always cool like CHIPS. He loved and ate my moms cooking. Nice if he gets to work on TV again.

BroRo

He's a good egg....I love him!

jxtr

He's still handsome. He had the most beautiful smile.

marlena

Hahaha!!! No sweat off my rump. The Valley will be cut off from L.A. and visa versa, for 3 days and people panic, CLASSIC!

Lisa

Best way to beat carmaggedon is to download the free app, Waze gps on any smartphone . Go to 'beatcarmaggedon.com' for further details.
Get Waze, or get lost.

JC

My wife just saw him filming the PSA by the Skirball exit off ramp, stopping traffic and causing a massive back up in the process, a mini carmageddon! She got to work an hour late but had to admit that Erik was as cute as ever.