Peter Falk -- Official Cause of Death Released

7/10/2011 12:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Peter Falk -- star of the T.V. series "Columbo" -- died while battling pneumonia and advanced Alzheimer's dementia ... this according to the actor's death certificate.

0708_peter_falk_doc_launch_ex_2

The document -- filed with the L.A. County Department of Public Health -- lists the main cause of death as cardiorespiratory arrest ... which essentially means his heart stopped beating and he stopped breathing.

Pneumonia and Alzheimer's Disease are cited as the underlying causes of his death.

The 83-year-old actor died peacefully in his Beverly Hills home on June 23.

namers

Oh, is that what that means? I can go back to bed now.

lou

If you're going to go, I think this might be the best way to do it.

Shady's Lady

Stopped breathing, no heart beat you say, oh umm well ok then...but just one more thing, LOL. RIP.

Ginger

Rest in peace, Peter. I loved all his Columbo programs. He will be missed.

Jimbo

Hey Harve, your staff "f'd up again....you blocked out Mr. Falks home address....but his place of death was listed as his "residence",and that address was left for the world to see...( I pick up on these things, as I watched every episode of Columbo )....Mr. Falk would be proud !....Rest In Peace !

LongJohn69

What a guy! Ever since the first time I saw him on TV decades ago in a TV movie called "The Price of Tomatoes" I new he had a long and great future ahead of him. Adios, my friend.

richards

Isn't this what killed Elvis?

brenda

Cut it any way you see fit, but all of the great actors are leaving us now.

It's a sad commentary on society when at one time when these actors were getting major print, these days the attention is towards wannabe actors, reality show participants and American Idol "winners".

brenda

BTW, whom ever wrote this, misspelled Columbo in the lead in.

Only the weekend writer would spell it Colombo. Nice to see everyone on the ball there at TMZ.

stu

i was wondering how this "83" yr old died!

kerumbo

Cannot download the PDF of the do***ent - "The file is damaged and cannot be repaired."

cayfis

Well we all knew who the culprit was, but the clever part will now be to get the evidence to ensure a convistion!!!

cayfis

ronni

I just want to say i had many hours of great entertainment from this man. He will be missed in my life as I am sure he will be in others. But my thoughts and prayers are with his family. May they find peace knowing he is at rest. Oh! And just one more thing.....

Janet

Excellent actor. He will be missed. I feel sorry for the family that has to live without him in their lives, yet, how blessed they were to have him for the time they did.

Jim

The In-Laws with Alan Arkin...one of the funniest movies you'; sever see! SERPENTINE..SERPENTINE...SERPENTINE