Police -- Don't Call Amy's Death an Overdose Yet

7/23/2011 2:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Police in London released their first official statement that acknowledges the death of Amy Winehouse -- but warned that's too soon to say she overdosed on drugs.

0722_amy_BN3
In a statement, London Police Superintendent Raj Kohli said, "Next of kin have been informed, and I can confirm that officers are now satisfied that the deceased is Amy Winehouse."

As for the cause of death, and speculation that Amy -- who had battled drug and alcohol problems for years -- may have OD'ed, Kohli said, "
I am aware of reports suggesting this death is the result of a suspected drugs overdose, but I would like to re-emphasize that no post-mortem examination has yet taken place and it would be inappropriate to speculate on the cause of death."

PRO US

London police saying "don't call it an overdose yet" reminds me of the Norwegian authorities who, after the car-bombing in Oslo yesterday, said "We don't know it this is terrorism." Who are they trying to fool? Us.

Mike

I guarantee you that he death will be due to SOME sort of drugs ... either street drugs like heroin or prescription drugs like oxycontin painkillers mixed with sleeping pills and other stuff her shrink might have given her.

Ghost Rider

Sometimes being a creative virtuoso involves being a trainwreck. There is no amount of help or support that can help. When people say things like get help it really pisses me off personally because I know there is no such thing as help, only some jackass head shrinker who drives a Benz who graduated top of his class who knows next to NOTHING about real artists!!!

PRO US

e33 about a minute ago

that's an ugly bitch
----------------------------------------
@e33:

Don't be so hard on yourself! Chin up, tomorrow is another day!

Abraham lincoln

Murder?

justagirl

I'm sure there are black haired beehive wearing chicks with the same tattoos all over their bodies on every block in jolly London!

Jonas Polsky

I don't think drugs were a factor. It's pretty common for a 27 year old to die of natural causes.

Chris Etrata

I am pretty sure this was a drug overdose. Accidental but shocking as well. Of course its fair to say that an overdoes was first suspected because thats what she was in danger of.

Mike

Izzy,

You sound like the character in the movie "The Wall" by Pink Floyd.

From what I can tell, Michael Jackson got so messed up on prescription drugs like painkillers and knock out drugs like propofol that he really DID live a lot of his life isolated from the world in a darkened room wasted all the time watching cartoons or whatever. Living the life of the suffering, misunderstood artist like in the Pink Floyd movie.

Michael was a MEGASTAR in the 80s and he weirded out just like all heavy drug users eventually do. It doesn't matter if it's street drugs or prescription drugs either.

Gloria Unread

Bandonbound - I just don't buy into the mantra of You have to know when you hit bottom and You have to check yourself in. Just outside of kidnapping, you take her, and lock her or them into a treatment facility until double the time to get clean has gone by. They only people IMHO that check themselves in are self serving stars or people in the limelight that are looking for a byline or posting somewhere.
----------------------------------------------------

It doesn't matter if someone is forced into rehab. If they don't want to help themself get clean, they'll go back onto the drugs as soon as they get out.
They have to want to do it on their own for it to stick. If someone doesn't believe they have a problem, they won't try and fix it.

Being forced into rehab can have the opposite happen - Making someone rebel and go further into addiction.

But I do agree that celebrities who release press statements about going into rehab probably do so for publicity.

some guy

Don't mean to segue, but...

@Izzy your new avatar makes me want to make out with you. I'll pick you up later in my unmarked, windowless van.

Do you like candy?

Sonya in Tx

WTF else could her death be?

Unless it was pneumonia or blood infection from drug use....

kennith

She didn't overdose and Casey Anthony didn't kill her daughter.
This woman glamorized drugs by singing about not going to rehab. I did hear her music and I didn't like it but I feel for her family.

Robb Wood

The Roxy on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood to post tribute to Amy Winehouse on their marquee tonight. The Roxy was the site of her one and only L.A. show.

Much love Amy! You will be missed!