NBC News -- We Won't Pay for Casey Anthony ... BUT

7/24/2011 8:37 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

NBC news is apparently reacting to a TMZ story, in which we said Casey Anthony's lawyer is negotiating with the major networks, and big bucks are on the line ... because the network is saying they have not offered any payment for an INTERVIEW ... BUT, it made no mention of other ways of paying handsomely for a chat with the very famous former murder defendant.

0724-baez-mark-casey-networks

TMZ broke the story ... Anthony's lawyer, Jose Baez, was holed up at the swanky Mandarin Oriental Hotel in New York City, negotiating with NBC, ABC and CBS for the first sit-down.  And, as we reported, Baez was in the Hotel bar Thursday night, getting tips from high-profile lawyer Mark Geragos on how to negotiate the best deal.

NBC gave a statement to the New York Post, saying, "We've talked with Baez about getting an interview with Casey Anthony, but only under NBC News standards and conditions -- no payment, and absolutely no job offers for any member of her defense team."

Read carefully -- NBC is saying "no payment," but it refers to an "interview."  That doesn't cover paying huge money for pictures, video, etc.  That's S.O.P. in the network game -- and we're told that's one of the issues Geragos covered with Baez.

As we reported, as of Friday morning ... NBC was the frontrunner in nabbing Anthony.

cindy

I will no*****ch unless she is connected to a polygraph with someone other than Baez standing by her side...like that's gonna happen. BTW...how long before Baez leaves his wife????

nicole

Time for me to contact ALL the networks again, just wanna make sure I make it clear to all of them that IF they pay Baez or Casey Anthony a dime, I will boycott them and their sponsors. I've already seen enough pics of Caylee, a few more won't change my opinion, it will only tick me off for knowing Casey is profiting off the death of her daughter.......that she murdered!

EVERYONE should go to their site, click on Contact Us at the bottom and speak your mind.

some guy

@nicole

I thought you only pay attention to the newest varieties of coke that are coming in from Mexico. Drug cartels usually don't buy ad time on major TV networks.

JustSayin'

You wanna BET I won'*****ch it? I also won't buy anything advertised during that time period. Ain't that hard to do if you have any guts.

Khate sucks

Casey Murderer Anthony SHOULD have died in LONDON today NOT talented Winehouse! SHAME SHAME on anyONE or anyTHING that pays this murderer 10cents! She isn't fit to be a janitor for me!

alice

IF ANY OF THE STATIONS DO THIS, WE WILL NOT BACK THEM AND WE BOYCOT THEM , THEY HAD BETTER BACK OFF..

sam

@Rabblerouser

Thank you for the link.

RabbleRouser

@Sam

You are welcome.
It's almost comical to see Geraldo scrambling around now. He's acting like a **** roach that is trying to run from the foot that is going to crush down on him.

He's crying on twitter that people are refusing to go to his kids birthday party because of his involvement with Casey Anthony. That will be the least of his worries.

2idiots

JustSayin' 4 minutes ago
-------
@ Justsayin - the problem here is if don*****ch you wont know what products are advertised so you wont know what products to not buy.

@ David Jong - the issue with Casey confessing her sins on TV is the potential backlash and add'l anger it will cause. Say she sits there and confesses to killing her daughter, the only thing that will come of it is more public anger. Since she cant be re-tried for murder, what good is a confession. Sorry to say it but she's too smart (cunning) to confess.

And what makes you think she'll be honest anyway? She was in jail for 3 years which was AMPLE time to set the record straight - she did not take advantage of that opportunity. Do you truly believe she'll be honest in her interview? She lied and covered up the incident - why come clean now?

And David, remember, Casey said the baby died as a result of drowning...so there's the "confession" (sarcasm)

Curious

I'm more interested in the financial aspects than I am in anything Casey has to say. She had her chance in court and chose to stay silent, for whatever reason. Why should I care what she has to say now - for money - when she refused to speak in her own defense?

JMO - Baez will end up screwing her financially. He already did so by taking the $200,000 in 2008 as legal fees and never once addressed the income tax issue. He let her take the fall for that. He'll continue to rack up the legal fees, like this laughable appeals for the lying convictions and negotiating with the networks (in which he also appears to have tried to land a job for himself). And I'm sure he'll be dipping his hand into any civil suits even though Casey has, or had, a civil attorney.

I wonder if anyone will remember to file a tax return for the income she makes this year.

anon

so she's in nyc? does she plan on never leaving her hotel room? new yorkers don't like her any more than the rest of the country, and wouldn't it be ... unfortunate... if she were to become another statistic of ny muggers? she needs an unfortunate and expedient accident to happen to her....

go away, casey, and visit amy winehouse while you're at it!!!!

Get a Nose Job, please!!!

Murderer Casey and her Sleazy Lawyers should NOT make one dime If they do, it should be paid to Florida for all the costs involved in that Crazy trial. She can't hide forever and she will be caught. She should be in a Psycho Ward in a Prison.
Casey killed Caylee - Period !!!!!

BEVERLY

I am so, so, so angry at the Defense Team making a mockery of the court.First,they try and destroy a man's life.and had no prove.and with the help of a moron level jury got away with it now they put there client up as not able to give a depo because she is ill,yet she went the very day the depo was supposed to be given went looking for a BIG PAYDAY.It makes me want to VOMIT the way the court is being used .my opinion

Curious

piggy -

Just out of curiousity - how would you account for those of us who don'*****ch tv any more? It's not a big deal for me to boycot something I have no interest in to begin with. And as I said previously, why should I care what Casey has to say now when she didn't speak up at the trial?

As for products - in today's economy, it's sensible to buy the generic/store brands. True, it's possible that one might still be supporting a big company that way. On the other hand, one would definitely be supporting the local businesses as well.

Lkap1481

What is there to be curious about anymore? We've all seen the videos and audio tapes of her lies. If she really wanted people to know the truth, she would have sat up there on the stand and told it. It's incredibly sad and ironic that the only person that really knows the truth is a pathological liar.

I know it sounds morbid, but the only way I would tune in to see her on TV is if she was in the process of committing suicide. I will watch that reality. I will not tune in for her lies. The media needs to stop treating her like Hollywood. It makes me sick to my stomach--this whole thing stinks (and it ain't trash...)