There She Is ... Ms. Alabama Nursing Home

7/26/2011 9:35 AM PDT BY Johnny Lopez

Move over Donald Trump and Miss USA contestants, because the lovely  Ms. Felma Schrimshire is the winner of this year's highly coveted pageant title, Ms. Alabama Nursing Home 2011.

0726_pageant_winner_V2

Felma -- who is 100-years-young -- beat out 74 other contestants and while she did not have to endure talent or swimsuit competitions, they all underwent 15 minute interviews before the crown was awarded to Schrimshire.

As part of her illustrious duties, Felma will travel to various nursing homes and community events.

Congratulations, Ms. Alabama Nursing Home!

0712_granny_footer

williard

TO: Dontgetmestarted

Dumb? Me? YOU were insulting those people. I thought I was pretty clever pointing out to you that in a shorter time than you think -- you will be insulted by another moron like yourself because, why? You got old and are no longer physically desirable. But a genius like yourself can’t see that. You see, schmuck, when you insult people you leave yourself open to be insulted. So because they can’t do it. I will. YOU, SIR ARE UGLY. And everyone on this comment board knows it. Those people are beautiful.

Pompano Ann

This is a great story; life isn't over until it's over!

heather

two things come to mind with this story:

1. "Where's the beef" - 80's reference.

2. Did she win the GOLDEN DENTURE AWARD?

fgsd

Whatever....

Why do we feel the need to treat the elderly like a circus show? The 'homes' these folks live in are so condesending if you ask me...they treat the elderly like these people in pre-school, and talk to them the same way.

I find this to be a joke. When I'm, old, do not call me honey, do not call me sweetie, do not assume I just love children and want them crawling all over me, and don't talk down to me.

Oh, how cute, they slapped the old girls up there for a beauty contest.....unreal. It is almost like they are exploiting them....

Intrikit

That;s awesome that they did that. Remember that could be YOU or your granny one day!

some guy

I heard Harvey's niece was a contestant in this beauty pageant.

@Harvey How'd she do?

Werewindle

My grandmother once won a "beauty contest" at her nursing home in southern KY... I'm happy for this lady, and glad that all these ladies are still relatively spry and enjoy taking part is this.

urbusted

Whatever happened to having respect for your elders? What a bunch of a-holes posting here. You don't think you will ever get old? Probably not, your stupidity will kill you before that.

I think it's very nice story. God Bless them all.

Have some respect, people.

PS-Hey, Betty White is almost 90 and she is beautiful, and sharp as a tack!

Karmagal

What a lovely idea and a lovely lady. It's nice to see they havnt lost their " mojo"..

Cynthia

I think it is a wonderful to do, i sure hope I look that good when i am 100 years old, If I live that long........ :)

katsgirl

Andy Andy Andy your comment of "this is just pitiful" desires class and more maturity in your thinking; my mom is one of these ladies and to answer your comment. YES, these ladies KNOW where they are and DO have a clue of what they are doing. They had a great time in answering questions in their interview and if there where a talent show Im sure these ladies would make you blush!

Jane

I loved this story!

Christina

I work at the nursing home for a resident that is pictured in this article. I must say that our resident who participated enjoyed her experience and was not manipulated in any way to participate in this event. Our older generation is the reason we have what we have today. They worked hard even though they went thru the great depression. They sacrificed for their families and their communities. I know it's a "given" that the people who usually comment on these articles are ignorant however degrading comments are just stupid. Get a life and respect our older generation.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3