Warrant Singer Jani Lane

MYSTERY NOTE FOUND AT DEATH SCENE

8/23/2011 3:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0811_janie_lane_EX_01Ex-Warrant singer Jani Lane was carrying a note in his pocket on the day he died which read, "I am Jani Lane" ... but TMZ has learned Jani wasn't the person who wrote the note.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... Jani had no official ID on him when his body was discovered at a Los Angeles motel on August 11 -- and we're told he hadn't been in possession of an ID for a while.

We're told the note contained a phone number for a person close to Jani -- and police contacted that person after Jani's body was discovered.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... investigators have confirmed the note was written by one of Jani's friends -- and that person had placed a similar note on Jani in the past. Cops have been in contact with that person.

However, the note has infuriated members of Jani's family -- who tell us whoever had written the note was CLEARLY aware that Jani had a substance abuse problem ... and should have helped Jani seek treatment instead of simply tucking a piece of paper into his pants.

It's unclear if the same person who wrote the note also checked Jani into the Comfort Inn -- but sources tell us it appears the room where Jani was discovered was not purchased by Jani himself.

Law enforcement sources tell us there is no criminal investigation into the death -- and so far, investigators believe Jani's death was either accidental or due to natural causes.

An autopsy has been completed -- and results from the toxicology tests are expected soon.

0812_jani_lane_footer

CountryGal

His parents are dead folks. It must be his siblings saying all that. I heard he was REALLY broken up about his moms death a few years ago. That could have led to his demise.

Mrs. E

I'm just curious why his wife hasn't made any sort of statement. He obviously still has fans, a lot of them just want to know something. There hasn't been any talk about a funeral or anything.

Karma

Should find out who owns the publishing?? who gets what from his death?? just saying hint hint if he fired anyone recently??

als

Maybe he was already dead and they just put him in the hotel so he would be found.

redondomomE

I'm sorry but if your "friend" is so f$@cked up that you feel the need to put his name and number on a piece of paper so they can be identified why the hell wouldn't you just call 911 and tell them your "friend" was too intoxicated and your feared for their safety??? You don't freaking leave them there to die....

Stacey Leah

about Jani Lane. who ever wrote the note Could have Killed Jani the Police Really needs to this Person out

Stacey Leah

who ever the note it wasn't Jani who ever it is the Police Should Check the Person who Wrote this Note

LUDWIGKICKER

Please let this be the plea to all Musicians (and anybody else) who has an addiction to drugs/alcohol DON'T STOP READING NOW!!

Jani was a very VERY talented Singer and Guitar player that I admired very much. He was such an awesome person (at least the times I got to meet him). I almost joined the Street Team because of his influence on me.

I have a friend who is an awesome Vocalist/Bass/Keyboardist. He to had a drug addiction at an early age. His first surgery was done to his heart at age 32. Valve replacement that was determined by the surgeon that was drug related. He has since had 3 heart attacks. He's only 38.

I, myself, am a Percussionist/Vocalist and play Trumpet and other Brass instruments professionally. I have always been drug and alcohol free. Yes... I'd been around that stuff and I've seen some of the bands that I was in (2 definately) that this kind of behavior ruined and caused for the fall of them.

Drugs, even WEED, and alcohol destroy. Alcohol destroyed my DAD and my family!! He was one of the most talented musicians in Ohio back in the late 60's and early 70's. Dead now of cirrhosis of the liver. His alcohol filled dreams lead him to leave me and my 3 younger sibblings when I was 5 to never see again. 30 years later, now dead. How cool is that!!??

I admire so many of the Musicians that have influenced my life, you could be one of them!! It is heart bleeding when we see the loss of such Talent!!

I could stay on my soapbox all day. PLEASE HEAR ME!!

If you have problems SEEK HELP NOW!! Before it is too late like Jani. Looking forward to seeing him again play and sing .... has now faded by the stench of drugs. NOW is the time. Let's start marking out the drugs in Rock and Roll!! We've come too far to continue to let it destroy those who have made it so popular.

Peace to all,