Jimmy Kimmel's Uncle Frank

Dead at 77

8/23/2011 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0823-uncle-Frank-Potenza-BN
"Uncle Frank" Potenza -- the silver-haired ex-cop who charmed audiences on his nephew's show, "Jimmy Kimmel Live!", died early this morning ... reps from the show have confirmed.

Uncle Frank spent 20 years as a New York City police officer -- before eventually becoming a staple on Kimmel's late night show in 2003.

The show released an official statement on Frank's passing -- saying his "kindness and humor" will be missed.

The show has not revealed Frank's cause of death.

Uncle Frank was 77.

update_bar
10:45 AM: Jimmy tweeted about the situation ... saying, "thank you for your kind words about a very kind man - my Uncle Frank - who passed away this morning."

JLo on Steroids

Sad news, RIP Uncle Frank.

Wanda

Sad news, I really liked watching uncle Frank on the show. Prayers go out to his family at this time of loss. R.I.P. Uncle Frank!!!

Lala

Aww man, thats sucks. I loved Uncle Frank. Godspeed, sweetheart.You were loved and will be missed.

Slick

Uncle Frank and Geirmo are great on the show. Jimmy Kimmel is the only late night talk show I watch, and Frank was one of the reasons why. Sorry to Jimmy, Franks family and the people at JK Live. RIP.

Bman

condolences to Jimmy and Family, Uncle Frank seamed like a humble guy. Going to miss him, it's great Jimmy included him on his show.

Madeline G

May the family of Uncle Frank find comfort during this difficult time. I celebrate his life and thank God for knowing and being in the company of such a warm, lovable, kindhearted spirit as my Uncle Frank. His spirit lives on thru and in us as we complete this journey. My thanks to Jimmy for recreating the passion within for an enjoyable eight years of his life. Until we meet again,

Brid

I am so very sad to read of Uncle Frank's death. Jimmy is my favourite talk show host and I loved Uncle Frank on the show. Rest in peace, Uncle Frank, you're with the angels now. My heartfelt condolences to Jimmy and his family.

diork

Uncle Frank always made me laugh. Sometime more than Kimmel. So lovable.

Tecia

Uncle Frank and Guiellermo are 2 of the main reasons why I started watching the show. We will miss ur presence on the show.R.I.P Uncle Frank!

Fat Mike

So sad, I loved uncle Frank. He seemed like a great man, with an even greater sense of humour.

joycewilper

jimmy,family and show family,I miss uncle frank already,he was so sweet.I'm so sorry about him passing away,but he will forever be in our hearts.give my love and prayers to your family and friends.you need a big hug.love,joyce wilper in st.louis missouri.

whitney marchelle

So sorry to hear of this. I met him at the St patricks chruch when he was a security there and I was crying because I had come such a long way and I was new to New York .I had no idea I had to have to have a ticket to go to Christmas eve mass. He actualy took me through the side door and told me to have a seat. I told Jimmy's staff of this beautiful kind gesture Frank did but they never bothered to respond while he was alive; such a pitty..at least I was able to tell you all and maybe somebody read this.

about 2 yrs ago

Oh, RIP. I thought Jimmy was a real a-hole. Which he is. But now we love him because we realize he is a sweet a-hole under all that a-hole-ness and his treatment of his uncle was the same for all guests...you did make his life happy at the end Jimmy. We empathize. Big hug for your entire family Jimmy. We enjoy Frank...RIP.

Karen

Uncle Frank was such a warm and beautiful person! Such a genuinely NICE human being. He will be greatly missed. Does anyone know what caused his death? I know he was off the show for quite some time and then when he returned it was apparent he had been ill. But I read nothing about the cause back then, nor has there been any comment now on the cause of death. Everything has been kept so hush-hush. I wonder what the real story is.

winnieviola

Condolences to you, Jimmy Kimmel. He will be missed.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments