Jay-Z's 40/40 Club

Union Protests Have

Turned Racial

9/3/2011 5:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0903_labor_dispute_twitter_EXD
Jay-Z's 40/40 Club is undergoing a remodeling in New York City and a local union is protesting the fact they aren't using union workers for the job -- but Jigga's people tell us some protestors have gone too far ... by hurling racial slurs.

The New York City District Council of Carpenters erected giant inflatable rodents outside the club as part of their protests, claiming the company that was hired to do the job does not meet "area labor standards" and is paying their workers a "substandard wage."

A rep for the club tells TMZ they are in a non-union building and are not required to use union contractors. The rep tells us some protestors have been using racial slurs against the workers they are using, which the rep called a "poor tactic" to try intimidate people and scare away business.

The club is scheduled to re-open on November 1.

Calls to the NYCDC were not returned.

en Todo Momento!!

all you need is some oversized dollar bills in the shape of cheeze. that would complete the big real picture for you when dealing with unions.

en Todo Momento!!

them union rats can sniff out a pissed on penny that's been laying in the infested corner for years. they are trained to salivate like pavlovian dogs that way.

you know who

Fact is jayz will come around and do the right thing because when he realizes that most of all his shows are handled by union people, and the ramifications that come from not hiring union labor he'll realize the error of his ways. So for all the negative rantings about unions most of the rights you have is do to some union. And for the record there are some lazy union guys out there. But I have had the privilege over the last thirty years in the union business to have worked with some of the best craftsman that god ever put on this earth and would put them up against anyone you have for being the fastest and most intelligent, because of all the union school training that is offered for free to us. We are by nature better at the job and forgive us for wanting to know why we are doing something and not just being told to do something, i refer to this as being hired from the neck down. Jus*****ch jayz he will correct this problem he has. He doesn't need the bad publicity.

Medina

F*ck the Union.....I'm a General Contractor and had to use the local carpenters union for a job..These Stupid F*cks would send me a bunch of lazy,stupid ,and overpaid f*cks to my jobsite...I lost alot of money and had to do most of the work myself...so **** ALL UNIONS!!!

MsRita

He should of hired union workers that are not working and I knew he and his wife are fake a heck. Cheap labor for your up scale resturant my not even pass code when it is finished. If he only hired a Black contractor so be it its his money. If they are Hispanic then I see why there is a protest. A Black so called entertainer hiring Hispanic instead of Black can actully back fire on his fans.

Uncle Angry

Absolute bull****. You know what hurts more than using non-union employees? Using actual union employees. Unions USED to stand for the fair and just employment of it's peoples. Unions USED to be a protective agency that stood up for the little guys/gals in the unions when there were serious issues that needed to be brough to the attention to their well payed employer's lawyers. That USED to be the case, NOW unions are nothing more but a shill. You want to see why the majority of all manufacturing is done out outside of the Unite States, look no further than a unionized manufacturing plant, or job site.

dee-k

hello

gnamaree

Hey I'm all for Fair Market Capitalism, but Jay-Z can't have it both ways if he is Obama's buddy and a LABOR UNION SUPPORTER. SUCKS to be YOU when YOU have to PAY THEM, huh JAY-Z?!

you know who

judging by the way you use all this colorful language , it appears you got what you deserved. Don't blame all unions because you got a bad apple from the hall. And just like every American knows you have the right to spin them around and send them back to the hall.And you are also aware that if there not doing there job correctly you have the right call the union hall and ask for the business agent to come down and address the situation. They are there for the good of the contractor and the union labor. But my guess is you are neither a union contractor or contractor at all, your just another cry baby that just wants to slam the unions.

Medina

dear "you know who" , Your an ignorant bastard..I spoke to the union rep and addressed the issue.He's way to make it up to me was taking me to lunch. I TRIED out alot of workers and they all failed...For your Info i"m a succesful residedntia/Commerciall NON UNION Contractor.Also my Non-Union workers run circles on all the workers that I tried out from the Union Hall..so F*ck Off...

Bob

Unions have done almost more harm to this country then Obama. And that says a lot.

trz

The RATS are the union members. So sick of their garbage.Overpaid,slow sloppy workers with a sense of entitlement that makes us sick.

Infiniti

Stupid unions are always complaining. They ask for too much. I'd rather give the work to people who really want a job rather than those who demand a 4 hour break period for a 5 hour work day.

bj brigham

GOOOOOOOOO JAY Z GO JAY Z GO JAY Z TELL THOSE UNION TERRORIST TO TALE A HIKE. WHAT WAS THAT GUY TELLING JZ THAT THERE COULD BE RAMIFICATIONS FOR NOT HIRING UNION WORKERS>>>I THINK HE IS THREATENING YOU>>>WE ARE TIRED OF THESE ARROGANT PEOPLE>>>THEY ARE JUST GANGSTERS WHO CANT GET A JOB BY THEIR REPUTATION>>>

jack

it's no wonder racism is rife in America, Jigga? Thats appalling.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments