Jewish Orgs. to Warner Bros.

BOOT Mel Gibson

from Maccabee Movie

9/9/2011 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0812_mel_gibson_bn_2
Two powerful Jewish organizations are lashing out against the decision to hire Mel Gibson to produce a movie about biblical Jewish hero Judah Maccabee ... TMZ has learned.

The Anti-Defamation League has released a statement -- demanding Warner Bros. pull Gibson off the flick immediately ... saying, "As a hero of the Jewish people and a universal hero in the struggle for religious liberty, Judah Maccabee deserves better."

The statement adds, "It would be a travesty to have the story of the Maccabees told by one who has no respect and sensitivity for other people’s religious views."

TMZ also spoke with Rabbi Marvin Hier -- founder and Dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center -- who tells us putting Mel Gibson work on a movie about a Jewish hero is "like having a white supremacist portray Martin Luther King Jr."

FYI -- Judah is a central figure in the story of Hanukkah ... as the brave warrior who drove enemies of Judaism out of Jerusalem.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Joe

Considering Mel is producing the movie, and WB is the distribution arm, kinda hard to do that

two cents

LOL!! How dare they "demand" anything? Who do they think they are? Build a bridge and get over it. Good grief, we've turned into a country of whining ninnies. No one is forcing them to watch it.
The world's a mess today over religion. It's all just ridiculous. "My god is better than your god". I hope one day people wake up from all the brainwashing.

karlew

Right. I'm sure the directors of Dexter all have fuzzy warm feelings for serial killers to portray Dexter with such compassion and realism. This is just stupid.

Hanging to da lef

"Can't we all just....Get along?" How bout Charlie Sheen for the roll?

peachpie

i guess we don't respect anyone or anything anymore.

Wellington

It has been shown that Gibson can make great epic tales, i.e. "Braveheart". I'm not sure how making a story about a historic Jewish hero is a slap until you see the picture. I thought Gibson did his mea culpa to the Jewish community years ago and it was accepted. If only people of the same ethnicity can make movies about that group, what do you do with Speilberg and "The Color Purple"? IIRC he got a lot of flack from the black community while making that movie.

Kari

I agree with them--get him off the movie. Mel Gibson isn't worthy of this movie.

Anonymous

Another fine example of religion dividing mankind instead of uniting it.

Pimpcessa

DAMNIT!! They are picking on him cuz he's WHITE AND CATHOLIC!! when will this racism enddddddddddddddd.........

fran

I see the hollywood bullies are at it again, when will they learn that Mel has a lot of fans and lay off..being Jewish doesnt mean you own the world.

Googie

Appears Mel Gibson is the only reason this movie is being made. Would most of us non-Jewish even know about Judah Maccabee if it weren't for Mel Gibson.

iamfilmmaker

jews black list mel never seen that one coming

Emma

As a bartender, I hear a lot of offensive words and phrases used regularly. For the most part, they're being said to intimidate someone more than to prove a political or religious agenda. I doubt that Mel Gibson is actually an anti-Semite. He's just an assh*le who has had some bad days.

If you look back on the sh*tty things you've said when drunk, would you want people to judge you solely on those statements? Thank goodness I'm not a celebrity, because I have definitely said some hateful things in my day. Is it because I'm actually filled with hate? Nope. It's because I'm a smart-mouthed little sh*t, and I'm not afraid to hurt people's feelings.

Also, I'm from Seattle where a deranged psychopath shot up the Jewish Federation Office. Now THAT'S anti-Semitic. Personally, I'd rather hear drunks ranting than shots ringing. But I guess they're the same thing and one should be judged as such... Or not.

Hollywood is clearly a real touchy place where feelings get hurt easily and nobody will ever let you live it down.

jodi

GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!

JUstin

Uh oh ...Pressure is now on...lmao

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments