Mel Gibson

Why I Want to Make A

Jewish Hero Movie

9/10/2011 8:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0909_mel_gibson_ex
Mel Gibson has a passion for the story of Judah Maccabee, one of the greatest Jewish heroes of all time, but is not doing the movie as an act of contrition.

Sources very close to Mel tell TMZ ... Gibson does not feel the need to bridge a gap between himself and the Jewish community, because he doesn't believe a gap exists.  They say Mel is adamant -- he does not hate Jews, noting that his lawyers are Jewish, his publicist is Jewish, and he has many Jewish friends and employees.

As for Mel's anti-Semitic rant during his 2006 DUI arrest, Mel has written two public letters of apology and also met with numerous leaders in the Jewish community to discuss where he went wrong.

0909_mel_docs
As for the movie, Mel has wanted to produce it for a decade, telling our sources it's actually a statement against corruption in the church.  Mel believes Maccabee's story parallels the modern church, and he thinks the movie will help force change.

Preserve the Tiger

GO FOR IT, MEL! YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO MAKE THIS MOVIE OR ANY MOVIE THAT YOU WANT! To ALL of you who are still holding on to all of that hatred you have for Mel, and I'm talking about Rabbi Marvin Hier, the Jews, all the haters in every religion/race, and those making such nasty comments about Mel on every article about him, you're full of the same hatred that you're accusing Mel of having. Those of you who are asking Warner Bros. to not associate with Mel and this movie are big hypocrites, and I'm referring to the Rabbi who was on TMZ a day or so ago talking about organizing a boycott against Mel's new movie, which hasn't even happened! GOOD GRIEF PEOPLE, LET IT GO! LET IT GO! LET IT GO! On TMZ's poll, thus far 63% have ALREADY FORGIVEN Mel, 21% NEVER WILL, and 16% MAYBE. That 21%, 16%, Rabbi Marvin Hier, and all of those hating Mel need to understand that forgiveness is part of having the righteous heart and soul that will get you into Heaven. Does Rabbi Hier boycott homosexuality, adultery, ***********, etc. that goes against EVERYTHING in the Bible? Does he boycott actors, such as Brad Pitts and Angelina Jolie who have committed adultery and ***********? What about those who have bore children out of wedlock; that's a majority of the actors/actresses in the world? That also goes against the Bible? How about Chaz and all of those who have sex changes, which again goes against the Bible? Does he boycott everything and everyone who are immoral? Does he support politicans, who are all pretty much corrupt? How about those elected officials who go out and have affairs, does the Rabbi hate them? I'll bet the Rabbi has this type person in his congregation, which I imagine every preacher has this type in their congregation. But does the preacher boycott them or try to change their hearts by preaching the truth FROM THE BIBLE, not the man-made Bibles that are written to suit a particular religion! You have singled Mel out, and YOU ARE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST MEL! He's not perfect, by no means, and he's the first to admit that, but YOU ARE NOT PERFECT EITHER! The haters, the press, and everyone needs to quit throwing Mel's past mistakes up in his face! LET IT GO! LET IT GO! LET IT GO, or you may spend eternity in Hell with Satan! I'm not the Judge and NEITHER ARE YOU! There is only ONE GOD, and HE IS THE TRUE JUDGE! NOT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Promote peace, not hatred! There are too many wars in this world as it is! Hatred kills the innocent as well as the guilty! I have absolutely nothing against the Jews, but I wonder how Rabbi Hier can get up and preach to his congregation with such hatred in his heart. There are many, and I'm talking MANY preachers who get in that pulpit on Sundays and Wednesdays who are commiting adultery, ***********, and other sins! THAT IS TOTALLY WRONG! The congregation may not be aware of it, but GOD is aware of it all! You can run, but you cannot hide from GOD! For the benefit of your Salvation, LET THE HATRED GO!

david

Mel Gibson
Make the movie. You are good at interpretation and it stands out. Make the movie and be true to your self and the interest of others. Im sure it will be entertaining. Remember you have a lot to live up to in the world of cinema and you have the ablity to produce an even greater epic. So do it and I will have another entertaining movie to watch, Okay!

Tom Mariner

If Mr. Gibson loses his battle to make the film he wants, maybe it is time to wonder if our influential entertainment industry is under the influence of a religion, any religion. And whether that religion is dictating what is or is not presented in our theatres and into our homes, rather than questions of art or profit.

Cujeaux

Dear God, where do I begin......

I guess I would start by saying that if he apologized to the Jews, he still has the female population, blacks and gays left to go. We've heard his foul mouth spouting this crap for decades now. It's not just the drunken Jew rant. Here's another one that's on the record....

"I'll apologize when hell freezes over. They can **** off." —to Playboy in 1995, about whether he'd issue an apology to gays and lesbians, as GLAAD recommended.

Why do people expect Harvey Levin to like MM? He's gay AND Jewish. Double whammy. What must MM think of gay female jews or black gay jews? My what an unholy trinity those combinations must represent to the chosen one!

Mark my words, Mel the Messenger is on another quest for the holy grail. He's already dusted himself off and is ready to return to the omnipotent, unbearable ahole he was circa 2004 when the bucks started rolling in.
He doesn't see what's around the corner though. It's not going to be a cake walk. WB will see to that. They will take a hit just to see him crash and burn and blow through all of his money.

Mel doesn't have the mental stability he had 20 years ago to pull this off. People are already questioning his motives and if he's saying it's NOT a mea culpa than it muddies the waters even more. Why? Because it goes against everything he stood for in the past.

He probably envisions this movie to be a cinematic masterpiece that will win him accolades, oscars and praise from the jewish community. My guess is it's just in preparation for his third act - the fall of Judaism with the coming of Christ. That movie is probably already 'in development' in his head.

NobodySpecial

After "The Beaver" Mel knows he is screwed. But his trying to make peace with the Jews by doing this film isnt going to work. Mel is finished. He has millions he can live off of so he should just fade away and stop trying to save a career he burned to the ground.

sc1432

I did not believe his apoligies. Only someone who believes a certain way would say things that he did.
I am not Jewish, but i believe everyone is equal. I never will put any money in Mel's pocket . Anything he produces, stars in, or has any part of I will not be seeing it.

There's a problem here

God himself wouldn't back this movie financially. I think Mel should just give it up and slink back to his cave and live the rest of his pathetic days in obscurity.

She's baaaack

Heloooo??? Here's a clue. Anybody can make a movie about anything. It's all about the money. No one in their right mind is going to produce, partner, or pour any money into any endeavor this loose cannon wants to make. It's a loss from the get-go. I'd rather produce a kindergarten play for the big screen than invest a single k into anything Mel wants.

kelly

Good Morning,

My goodness such hate. From what I have read here they must hate everyone that is not Jewish.The people that have been so voical have done more harm than anything Mel has done. I am sure glad that not all of the Jewish people are full of hate.

Mel talked about this movie right after he made The Passion. I was so looking foreward to it. So glad he is finally going to do it.

Stop with all thi*****e it is making all of the Jewish people look bad, and I know they aren't. Just the few that are spewing and vomiting their hate on here

kelly81

middleagedcrazy

Well, I watched the Rabbi Heir interview and was totally bummed out that such a supposedly educated religious leader would be such a nasty spiteful bully and bigot. During the interview, it did occur to me that if a Christian or Muslim leader had said the same exact things, they would be excoriated and ridiculed forever.

Using the accusation of 'anti something' (doesn't much matter what it is) and using a Hollywood star's name to proclaim it more loudly is just nasty bullying. When these accusations start flying around, I really wonder if some of these groups were turned down for donations so they start this crap.

Firefly

What is wrong with people? What more do you want from Mel. How many times does a person have to apologize for something that was "supposedly" said in a drunken state. We have a cop that is Jewish that said Mel said these things. Mel said he doesn't remember saying this stuff but apologized anyway. It was the cop who said Mel said sugartits when it was that cop that used that word all the time to women, It's his MO. Why doesn't the Jewish community go after that cop for lying and making them look like fools for taking the word of a cop that has disciplinary problems himself (look it up if you don't believe me). Your Jewish leaders are giving you a bad name for being intolerant and unforgiving. Isn't that what Jesus died for? So that all mans sins will be forgiven? What makes you think you are better them him? I'm embarrassed for your leaders for they are sounding like Sharpton, Jackson and all leaders that teach prejudice and intolerance. For they are widening the gap between between people of different religions and races. Wake up people, he is just an actor that makes great movies nothing more. He doesn't try to pretend to be anything more than that. Let's take a look into your closet and see what we can condemn you with. Where you will have to apologize over and over again and no one will forgive you, and let you see how it feels. Especially when no one has a right to be digging around in your closet in the first place. Let he who has not sinned throw the first stone!

mewty66

nice try anti-semite!

Marlyn

I'm a proud Jew & will NEVER watch a Mel Gibson movie EVER again!!

Caren

Mel should go back to Australia, crawl under a rock, and stay there. He is an ugly has-been and no-1 wants him around. Can you spell P-I-G...

whonner