Cliff Robertson

Uncle Ben in 'Spider-Man' Movies

Dead at 88

9/11/2011 5:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0911_Cliff_Robertson_getty_2
Cliff Robertson, who won an Oscar in 1968 and became known to modern audiences for his roll as Uncle Ben in the "Spider-Man" movies, died yesterday. He was 88.

Robertson famously portrayed John F. Kennedy in the movie "PT-109," the first movie to portray a sitting president.

He won the Academy Award for Best Actor in 1968 for his portrayal of a mentally disabled man in the movie "Charly."

Robertson was a certified pilot and was in the air and piloting a private plane over New York City on the morning of September 11, 2001.

Barb

Oops. I misspelled Charly. Sorry, Charly.

If sense were common everyone would have it.

I remember him from "Midway", "Falcon Crest", & many of the other things he did. He was a very subtle actor, which I appreciated, & whenever I saw a movie I'd never seen before, & discovered he was in it, I knew I was going to enjoy it & I could just put the remote down.

Condolences to his family.

Canadasux

Robertson was a good actor over the decades. But, I thought he'd died years ago.

pete

role, not roll. dipsh*t.

Jon

Cliff Robertson was an Oscar winning actor in the movie Charly, and all TMZ could come up with was, he was the uncle in Spiderman? LAME........

en Todo Momento!!

why did people back in the day win ONE!! (1) Oskar in their acting careers, and today, they give em away like christmas fruitcakes? really, i don't think that the 'acting' is really that much better...

en Todo Momento!!

maybe it was like literally a stunt 'roll'. you knever know!!

eller428

His roll?

Spencer B in MD

RIP Cliff - You left a good legacy. Never forgotten.

ozzie

RIP Mr Robertson. I enjoyed your roles.

michele ann johns

THE WORLD HAS TRULY LOST THE FINEST ACTOR AND A GREAT, CLASSY MAN. LOVED HIM IN GIDGET, CHARLY AND ANYTHING HE DID HE WAS THE BEST. MY CONDOLENCES TO THIS GREAT MAN AND HIS FAMILY. I ALWAYS WANTED TO MEET HIM AS I WAS HIS GREATEST FAN FOR 47 YEARS.

Cal

jeez - you have to dumb up the announcement headline with reference to spiderman crap? The man was a great actor.Is it just because I am old I am incredulous? What spoonfed crap. OK I am over it. cal cool from the motor pool

spidey fan