T.I.

Prison Officials Block Lawyer

From Fighting Re-Imprisonment

9/13/2011 11:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0913_ti_tmz_EX
T.I.
is up the creek without a paddle -- because TMZ has learned, prison officials in Atlanta have barred the rapper's lawyer from challenging the decision to put him back in prison.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons sent T.I.'s lawyer a letter yesterday, explaining the rapper was "not entitled to legal counsel" during the process by which officials review the decision to lock him up again.

T.I.'s lawyer originally sent the Bureau a letter last week, asking to be present at the hearings -- but the Bureau flat out rejected him.

According to the Bureau's response, two hearings have already occurred without T.I.'s lawyer present -- one last week and one the week before -- but it's unclear what transpired.

RyogaVee

"Not entitled to legal counsel"

You have got to be kidding me! No matter what T.I. did to get put in, that cant deny his rights. This is black eye on the prison system and someone needs to do a deep investigation.

Jason

This is the most absurd thing I have ever heard of. Why? What is the point here. They had to know he wasnt going to travel with only his wife...I mean bodyguards etc...this is just so ridiculous. LEAVE THIS MAN ALONE!!!!!!!!

T.I. play there little game and get back to your family. They cant keep you forever homie...

Leader of the ignorant masses

I would feel bad except for the fact that if he did not break the law in the first place none of this would ever have happened. He made the choices that put him where he is now.

bring back recent posts

...what a farce that prison system is...I feel for the guy now..too bad he wasn't in California!

dd

I thought this was America, serial killers get better treatment than this.

Chris

MOST prisoners are not entitled to legal counsel for prison discipline cases. They are not treating him any differently than they treat the other two million Americans in prison. Wake up, people.

MyOpinionOnly

Wow...what the heck did TI do to encourage such blatant bad behaviour by the cops? No right to an attorney??? How is that legal?? They really are in it for him since this seems way overkill for what he was accused of. Luckily he will be out before he knows it.

lalaland

In most of these situations, it's the recently released rapper whining about being treated unfairly. This time it's starting to sound like that may actually be the case.

foxxyma

this is a shame. is there not bigger offenses being made that the can concentrate on.. get a life

able_walker

Is this one of the prisons owned by Wal-Mart? America is quickly becoming a third world country...too bad.

Jen

Miranda rights read "....You have the right to an attorney, if you cannot afford one, one will be appointed to you".

Legally they should have read this to him when they arrested him, if not he can challenge it.

If they did read this to him and not oblige then he can challenge it too.

That's simply a violation of citizen's rights, it's not rocket science.

Chris

The courts have ruled: prison disciplinary cases are not part of a criminal prosecution; therefore, you DON'T have all of the same rights as before. Miranda simply doesn't apply. There's no "right" to an attorney in these kinds of cases, for famous rappers or infamous serial killers or run-of-the-mill burglars.

spyke

Serves him right!

spyke

Or.. as Nelson would say..Nah Ha!!

J

Since when is legal council rejected? Seems like racism to me.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments