"The X Factor"

Half the Show Of "Idol"

9/22/2011 8:13 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0922_xfactor-BN
The big "X Factor" premiere last night fell way short of Simon Cowell's expectations -- earning just over half the ratings "American Idol" got during its premiere in January.

Simon's new show averaged an 8.7 rating, while the tenth season premiere of "Idol" pulled in a 16.4 -- and in last night's head-to-head ... "Modern Family" and "Criminal Minds" won out.

Simon called in to TMZ Live yesterday -- telling us, he desperately wanted to beat out his alma mater in the ratings department ... but based on last night's performance, that's gonna be an uphill battle.

To be fair -- the first ever episode of "American Idol" only scored a 6.1 in 2002 ... and has since had years to build a loyal audience. Then again, singing competitions were new back then.

0922_factor_footer

3Storms

It is a good show, but they showed very few auditions and there were way too many damn commercials.

Plus kicking off the hot British chick who spoke just fine because attention-whore gotta-be-in-everything Nicole wanted on the show is disgraceful, and Nicole is already showing her attention-whore ego. She'll be the new Kara on this show and it's already showing.

go home!

X Factor blew Idol away. It's an amazing show. The premiere of Idol last year did well because of curiosity factor. Duh.

nof

For What It's Worth Department:

I don't feel the part of the show that features family/friends of the performer works.

i.e. That shows them backstage.

It's predictable footage (reaction shots), not interesting, and I'd look for something else to take its' place.

-Like Paula Abdul getting undressed and dressed.

Or feature-ettes which follow Simon around, i.e. footage about his concerns about the show, what he doesn't feel works, etc.

Simon's the most interesting part of the show - but we need to see more of him in off-moments and honest moments.

Paula's also a fascination, and it'd be good with me if we also saw more of Paula.

These two are way more interesting than any of the talent we're likely going to see -

nof

...Every show is about finding itself...

-You rarely have a hit at the one-week mark.

...While last nights' show was loaded-up on *sappy*?

@(someone at FOX wrote "maudlin")

I'm sure Simon saw that, and has already corrected it.

-Once something strikes a chord, the show will lean heavily in that direction.

-And become the hit it's destined to become.

Nof

debbiedoesnothing

Getting rid of Cheryl Cole was the right call. I thought the chemistry was better with Nicole. The second half of the show was better than the first. I had my doubts but I'm planning to watch it again. There were a couple of performers in the second half who really touched me. I liked the format better than Idol - the live audience gave the best feedback of all.

nof

Every show should feature Paula Abdul making-out with one of the contestants.

This way the show would go right into syndication -

Tami

I enjoyed the show. There is some awesome talent that will be exciting to watch. I would suggest that they limit the crowd scenes and show more of the auditions. Also, how many times do we need to see the judges arrive to the auditions?

John

X-Factor has a great feel and modern look. Much more entertaining judges and handsome host. American Idol feels like a tired Beauty Pageant, with aging asexual host Seascrest. X-Factor is has much more suspense. It will grow on people, with 5 million at stake. And you don't have to watch Lopez and Tyler. Opening very slick.

John

X-Factor has a great feel and modern look. Much more entertaining judges and gorgeous host. American Idol feels like a tired Beauty Pageant, with aging robot host Seascreast. X-Factor is has much more suspense. It will grow on people, with 5 million at stake. And you don't have to watch JLo and Steven Tyler.

wenzy

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! ONE BIG PEPSI COMMERCIAL AND NOT ENOUGH ACTS! SAME OLD DRAMA QUEEN PAULA WITH THE SAME OLD COMMENTS. THERE IS NO CHEMISTRY WITH THE JUDGES. THEY ACT LIKE THEY HAVE NEVER MET BEFORE. SORRY SIMON...CREATING A SHOW AS BIG AS YOUR EGO IS A WASTE OF YOUR MONEY. YOU COULD HAVE CUT OUT A JUDGE AND THE AUDIENCE FOR THE SAME RATINGS! AMERICAN IDOL RULES!!

kingborg

there was not 1 singer i'd pay to see last night!

nof

Since Simon pays 1,200.00 for his hair cuts -

I'd like to see who cuts it and how -

Since Simon stays in such fantastic shape -

I'd like to know how - i.e. his work-out regimen.

After that, I'd like to see Simon and Paula making-out.

But for real, not anything fake or simulated.

No saliva = no Nof.

Ace

I watched a few minutes of it just to check it out. Nothing special and reminded me of "Americas Got Talent". There are soooo many talent shows on now. I don't plan on watching X factor.

weird al yankovich

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ X INFINITY

Keith

Tried to watch it. First act was really good. Everthing after up untill I turned it off was bad. I thought it would be somewhat of a diffrent format from the other show he did, but it is the same rehash. The one major gripe is the time the crap acts get vs the somewhat good acts. Give the act that can sing a chance to air.