Sly Stone

I Still Use Cocaine, Beer

... but I WANT to Get Clean

9/27/2011 6:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

092711_sly_stallone_still

Sly Stone -- ex-frontman of the '70s funk band Sly & the Family Stone -- is admitting he still abuses cocaine and alcohol ... but the 68-year-old singer insists he WANTS to clean himself up.

Stone -- who's currently living in a van in L.A. -- spoke candidly about his substance abuse issues yesterday, insisting he hasn't used drugs or taken a sip of alcohol in "a week and a half."

A discombobulated Stone claims he's chosen a rehab center -- and insists he's serious about it ... saying, "I will be there."

Harrison

I hope he gets help. Legend or not, it is sad to see any human being wasting away.

tellmeaboutit

Yo, Dr Drew - hurry on out and scoop him up! Give him one of those quickie three week rehabs and a bunch of $$. That'll fix him right up. (cough) Sly's been talking the same game for years and years and years.

jw

Thsi is sad. I did a show with Sly in 1982 and his way of working is to show up in a city. Find a good local band with a following. Hire them and add his own guitarist or somebody to prep the band and rehearse, then play, take the cash and live off a local for awhile at their pad. His first comment to me was to reach out to shake my hand and ask if i had any cocaine. Sad.

Kmr1

Damn! A 70 year old crack head. Now I have seen it all.SMH

Rog

This guy made at least two of the greatest albums ever in my opinion ('There's A Riot Goin' On', and 'Stand', and here he is in a van. The world is so unfair. He did do an AWFUL lot of coke in his day, so its no wonder he's broke. Still, this man is legendary.

Pat Finn

after reading all the heartless comments here i feel the need to call attention to how tragic this whole situation is. I know it's no more or less sad than when anyone else loses their life to drugs but geez, it's hard for any music fan not to feel a bit pained to hear about this kind of thing befalling the man behind "there's a riot going on." I love all sly's music but that was just an incredibly original record and deserves mention here. in 1969 who would have thought that sly stone -- crafter of so many joyous anthems to 60s optimism -- would be capable of creating something so unflinchingly personal and heartbreaking? he miraculously reconfigured the traditionally extroverted, demonstrative funk idiom to express a vision of bleakness, pessimism and despair. a vision that was as frightening as it was compelling and as perfectly realized as it was uncompromisingly honest. this guy is not just another celebrity; he is one of great american artists of the twentieth century.

datdemdar

He just wants to Take Himself Higher?

pride milton

AT SIXTY EIGHT YEARS OLD WHY DON'T HE JUST KEEP ON DOING WHAT HE'S BEEN DOIN!!!! IT'S SEEMS TO HAVE WORKED OUT SO GREAT SO FAR FOR HIM! BUT, IF HE IS SERIOUS I WOULD PERSONALLY PAY TO GET HIM.INTO A LOCKED.DOWN SUBSTANCE ABUSE PROGRAM!! SO, ARE YOU REALLY SERIOUS SLY? I'M.CALLING YOUR BLUFF!! SINCERELY, MR. PRIDE MILTON

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3