« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Hank Williams Jr.

My Obama Comment Was 'Misunderstood'

10/3/2011 5:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1003_mnf_hank_williams_getty_ex_2

Hank Williams Jr. has just released a statement regarding his controversial statements on Fox News Channel this morning -- claiming he was simply "misunderstood" when he compared Barack Obama to Adolf Hitler.

Williams Jr. says, "Some of us have strong opinions and are often misunderstood. My analogy was extreme – but it was to make a point. I was simply trying to explain how stupid it seemed to me - how ludicrous that pairing was."

He continues, "They’re polar opposites and it made no sense. They don’t see eye-to-eye and never will. I have always respected the office of the President.”

Williams Jr. adds, "Every time the media brings up the tea party it’s painted as racist and extremists – but there’s never a backlash – no outrage to those comparisons… Working class people are hurting – and it doesn’t seem like anybody cares. When both sides are high-fiving it on the ninth hole when everybody else is without a job – it makes a whole lot of us angry. Something has to change. The policies have to change.”

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Carlos

Respect is shown in a different manner of speech Hank. TV ain't the same as the corner bar or tavern.If you use fightin' words...crap happens.

Joe

Hank Williams could have used a few lessons from Elvis, when Elvis was asked about politics he always answered' I'm an entertainer and I keep those opinions to myself.

Dr. Hardcrab

I think Bocephus can say whatever he wants. There IS freedom of speech, you know. I'm just glad he's done with MNF! DAMN! Was that getting old!!!! Just don't replace him with Lady Gag-Gag.....

Roy Hickman

Come'on Hank, Don't you have enough bl's to back your word! Myself, I think he is worse than Hitler.He has hurt a lot of people just signing his name. Because he can get away with it,with no more than a slap on the hand. Say it like it is ! He is really the worst thing that has ever happened,to America, And the moron's just eat it UP !

Sydney

Didn't know anything about Hank Williams Jr. until this incident, as I'm not much of a country music fan. Now I know all I need to know about him; HE'S AN IDIOT!!!!!!

Marquis De Suave

Hasn't he inbreeded his way off of the gene pool yet?

Lawrence Johnson

Hank Williams JR's commit about President Obama was racist. The truth be told, this person truly hates African Americans, especially Obama. How that for freedom of speech!

Sleepwalker

Your overrated music is DUMB you BUM!

L

How come no one says anything about Michael Jordan'*****ler Mustache in that Hanes commercial?????? That's BS

L

JOHN

hank only these idiot liberals can see there is a problem with your comments i see them as telling it how it is brother and it is also free speech the media is controled by the liberals anyway but dont you worry none you still have all your fans behind you and making new ones too and why blame someone like you for telling the truth but i see that the liberals want anything to whine about they know come 2012 the republican party will take back the whitehouse as it should be in the first place all you have to do is see these people without food and housing crime rates are climbing the economy is getting worse hank you are the best and you say it how it is keep up the good work hank and if they dont like hank williams then...you guys know the rest !

Concerned USA citizen

I think he is 100 percent right. This country is in the worst shape it has ever been in and Obama needs to step down. Why did we spend billions of dollars getting a Hussein out of a country to put one in here. Will never watch espn again. Last time i checked we do have freedom of speach or I thought we did., Guess not since Obama took office but they have different standards for him

Jackson

People cant believe that Hank lost his ESPN spot. But didnt Tiger lose a ton of S***T because he was 'doin' the baby sitter? There is free speech, but there is also ethical responsiblity. Hank was unethical. But....he can say whatever he wants.

robert

u the man hank jr.

SAM JADE

"Working class people are hurting – and it doesn’t seem like anybody cares"
DID Mr. Hank checked out his fact to see what is the cause of "Working Class" hurt , isn't this the legacy of MR. George W. , that the country is still paying for it.