Dr. Conrad Murray [AUDIO]

I Pumped MJ Full of Drugs

Before Singer's Death

10/7/2011 11:31 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1007_conrad_murray_interview2
Dr. Conrad Murray admitted to police ... he administered dose after dose of multiple, powerful sleeping aids -- including Propofol --  over several hours .... before Michael Jackson died.

Prosecutors just played a portion of Dr. Murray's explosive 2-hour interview with police on June 27th, 2009 -- in which Murray claims Jackson "was unable to sleep naturally."

Murray told police, beginning around 1:30 AM, he gave MJ multiple doses of Lorazepam and Medazolam over the course of 9 hours on June 25th, 2009 to help the singer sleep -- but the drugs had no effect -- and then gave him other drugs as well.

Around 10:40 AM -- less than two hours before MJ's security guard called 911 -- Murray said he gave MJ 25mg of Propofol to put him to sleep ... claiming, "I took all precautions that were available to me."

Murray said he gave MJ Propofol daily -- with a few exceptions ... because he was trying to ween the singer off the "milk." According to Murray, "Michael loved that drug."

Pegasus

Michael Jackson called hiring me 'divine guidance,' Murray saysBy Alan Duke, CNN
updated 8:48 PM EST, Fri October 7, 2011

Toxicologist disapproves of questioningSTORY HIGHLIGHTS
"I've got to sleep Dr. Conrad," Murray says Jackson told him the morning he died
'I'd like to have some milk, please, please give me some," Jackson begged, Murray says
Jackson's nickname for the surgical anesthetic propofol was "milk," Murray says
Jurors will hear the second half of Murray's interview with police next week
Tune in to HLN for full coverage and analysis of the Conrad Murray trial and watch live, as it happens, on CNN.com/live and CNN's mobile apps.

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Michael Jackson begged for his "milk," his nickname for propofol, after a sleepless night and just hours before he died from what the coroner said was an overdose of the surgical anesthetic, the singer's doctor Conrad Murray told detectives.

"I've got to sleep, Dr. Conrad," Murray said Jackson pleaded to him. "I have these rehearsals to perform. I must be ready for the show in England. Tomorrow, I will have to cancel my performance, because you know I cannot function if I don't get to sleep."

Jurors in Murray's involuntary manslaughter trial heard about half of the two-hour police interview on Friday, before going home for a three-day weekend.

Los Angeles Police Det. Scott Smith, one of two investigators who questioned Murray, is heard telling Murray at the start that he would make the interview "as painless and as quick as possible."

The audio recording, however, was too much for Michael Jackson's oldest sister, Rebbie. After she whispered to a bailiff, she walked into the jury box, next to the alternate jurors, and through the middle of the courtroom to the exit.

Police interview with Murray played

Murray: Jackson asked for 'milk'

Murray on CPR efforts, antidotes, death Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor stopped the audio playback and appeared angry at the disruption. "I can't have people walking through the courtroom!" Pastor said.

Murray is not expected to testify during the trial, but the interview playback means that jurors will have heard his story -- at least as he told it two days after Jackson's death.

"This is divine guidance," Murray said Jackson told him when he asked him to work as his personal doctor.

"He wanted me to be around forever. And he wanted to open a children's hospital where children all over the world can get treatment, and he wanted me to be the medical director," Murray told the detectives about his relationship with the pop star. Earlier this week, jurors heard a recording in which Jackson -- using slow and slurred speech -- talked to Murray about his dream of having a children's hospital.

The prosecution is playing the interview between Murray and the detective to help prove their case that the doctor should be held criminally responsible for reckless medical treatment that they say significantly contributed to Jackson's death.

Still, it does benefit the defense in some ways. The jury hears Murray's reasons for not immediately calling 911 for help, his explanation of his much-criticized CPR techniques, and the story that he was trying to wean Jackson off of a dependency on propofol. At the same time, the defendant is not subjected to a cross-examination by prosecutors.

Murray said that when he agreed to be Jackson's personal physician for his "This Is It" shows in London, he had no idea he would have to give him regular infusions of propofol.

But it was a drug Jackson told him he had used for years to get elusive sleep, he said.

"I was a bit surprised of his pharmacological knowledge," Murray told police. "He explained that he used it frequently on his tours."

During his two months on the job, he gave Jackson propofol "30 days a month, every day, with the exception of three days leading up to his death," Murray said.

"Michael Jackson may have a had a dependency to the substance," Murray said. "I was trying to wean him off."

The morning of the day Jackson died was after a third night of trying to wean Jackson from the drug, he said.

Murray described a long, restless night and morning for the pop icon, that began with the use of a series of sedatives -- lorazepam and midazolam -- without effect, Murray said.

Jackson found brief sleep early that day using meditation, but at 10 a.m. -- after eight hours of frustrated efforts -- Jackson begged for propofol, Murray said.

"He said, 'I'd like to have some milk, please, please give me some."

By 10:40 a.m., Murray said he gave in.

"So, I agreed at that time that I would switch over to the propofol, and I would give small amounts that would help him to sleep," Murray told detectives.

"I loved Mr. Jackson," the doctor added. "He was my friend, and he opened up to me, and I wanted to help him as much as I can."

On the recording, Murray insisted he kept a close watch on Jackson after he finally fell asleep. The physician never mentioned the long list of e-mails and calls that cell phone records later revealed.

The doctor said he left the room for about two minutes to visit the toilet. When he returned, he realized his patient had stopped breathing, Murray said.

"Immediately, I felt for a pulse and I was able to get a pulse in the femoral region," he said. "His body was warm. There was no change in color, so I assumed that everything happened quickly."

Murray told police he immediately started one-handed CPR on the bed alternately with mouth-to-mouth resuscitation on Jackson.

"I couldn't lift him off the bed by myself," Murray said. "What I did was to improvise. His bed is fairly firm, so I got my left hand under his body and I compressed with my hand not moving in place."

Jackson security chief Alberto Alvarez, the first person to join Murray in the effort, testified that he questioned Murray's knowledge of CPR techniques because he was trained to put a patient on a hard surface and use two hands.

Murray said he did not call 911 for help immediately because he expected answering the emergency operator's questions would take too much time away from the resuscitation efforts.

Instead, he ran down the stairs and shouted for the chef to summon help, and he placed a call to Jackson's personal assistant, Michael Amir Williams, to ask that he send a security guard upstairs, Murray said.

Murray said he tried his best to revive Jackson.

The second half of Murray's interview will be played in court Tuesday morning, when jurors return after the Columbus Day holiday.

Defense confronts Coroner about testimony

Detective witnessed Jackson autopsy

CSI evidence in Jackson death trial

Defense questions coroner's methods Earlier Friday, Murray's lawyers questioned the coroner's toxicologist in their effort to convince jurors that the sedative lorazepam, not the surgical anesthetic propofol, was the drug most responsible for Michael Jackson's death.

Toxicologist Dan Anderson testified Friday morning that while all blood and urine samples collected in Jackson's autopsy were tested for propofol, the coroner's office did not test all of them for lorazepam levels.

"I think it has its importance but it was not the red flag that caught my eye," Anderson said Friday. "Propofol in any case that we handle is important, probably more important than any other drugs that we deal with."

The Los Angeles County coroner concluded Jackson's June 25, 2009, death was caused by "acute propofol intoxication" in combination with sedatives, including lorazepam.

Lawyers for Murray contend Jackson swallowed eight lorazepam pills and self-administered a dosage of propofol while Murray was no*****ching. The result, they contend, was near instant death for the pop icon.

Prosecutors contend the high level of propofol found in Jackson's blood was the result of Murray's reckless use of a makeshift IV system with no monitoring equipment to put Jackson to sleep with the drug.

Jurors Thursday and Friday heard about the drugs found in Jackson's blood. The scientific evidence, presented by a coroner's toxicologist, is tedious and often hard to follow, but is the cornerstone of the prosecution's case.

Jurors who will decide if Murray is criminally responsible for Jackson's fatal overdose appeared to pay close attention as they took notes while Anderson detailed the lab results from Jackson's autopsy Thursday. Anderson returned to the witness stand the next morning for more defense cross-examination.

A higher level of lorazepam was measured in Jackson's stomach contents than in the blood from his heart and leg, defense lawyer Michael Flanagan noted as he questioned Anderson.

"The concentration is about four times as concentrated in the stomach as it is in the blood. You think that's an important number?" Flanagan asked.

"Not really," Anderson said. "It doesn't necessarily mean it's oral administration."

Along with propofol, Lidocaine and lorazepam, tests of blood taken from Jackson's heart and leg also tested positive for Midazolam and Diazepam, drugs commonly used to alleviate anxiety or induce sleep.

Jackson did not have Demerol in his blood, which is significant because of the defense contention that Dr. Arnold Klein addicted Jackson to the painkiller in frequent visits to his Beverly Hills dermatology clinic in the weeks before his death, without Murray knowing.

Defense lawyer Ed Chernoff said in his opening statement that Jackson was unable to sleep because he was going through withdrawal from Demerol since he had not visited Klein for several days.

Murray's fingerprint was found on the 100-milliliter propofol bottle that coroner's investigator Elissa Fleak testified Thursday she found inside a saline bag that had been sliced open. The prosecutor contends it was that bottle that contained the drug that killed Jackson.

Prosecutors argue that Murray, who was Jackson's personal doctor as he prepared for planned comeback concerts, is criminally responsible for the singer's death because of medical negligence and his reckless use of the propofol to help Jackson sleep.

If convicted of involuntary manslaughter, Murray could spend four years in a California prison and lose his medical license.

canreadbutnotwrite

Thank you so much for that LINK to Vindicating Michael, Pegasus - and all you set in here.
L.O.V.E.

sofi

hOW convenient for murray,didn't he know that propofol is used in hospitals ONLY?

Like you said TMZ,according to murray.
We have to see what the coroner testifies.

DonnaLynn125

IF Michael administered the fatal dose...wouldn't his fingerprints be on whatever he touched? Oh maybe he put gloves on first.....ok sure! Heard testimony loud and clear his fingerprints not on anything!

mac the knife

oh violins pls.. the quack doc gave his confession to police in how attentive he was to administering MJ with his 'sleep drugs' when in fact.. HIS OWN PHONE RECORDS SHOW what t he hell he was doing & how to.. the whole time..

WHO THE HELL is he kidding?!

hw won't have the time to be contacting Lloyds of London doing e-mails as well a s phoning his 'hoes' if MJ was awake.. begging for his milk..

I haveno doubt.. he just plied Michael with all the diprevan he can pump into him so he can attend to his phone c alls.

mac the knife

what's more-- WHY???? WAS HE SO VAGUE to t he paramedics & the UCLA EMERGENCY STAFF.. when they asked hi what kind of drugs MJ took-- if any? when it mattered.. even telling the doc he had no sense of time bec he didn't wear a watch ( I NOTICED HE WORE ONE IN COURT) & yet he was so particular telling police.. time & whixh supposed pills he gave MJ?
oh please.. he dissapeared after MJ died.. only to give himself time to rehearse & s ay all this BULL>.

another point.. WHY WAS HE CONSTANTLY CALLING MJ 'MY FRIEND'? friend this.. that? & NOT PATIENT?!

HE SHOULD BE IN PRISON.. bloody arrogant mindless murderer.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3