Ex-Weezer Bassist

Dead at 40

10/9/2011 6:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1009_mikey_welsh_facebook_bn
Bassist Mikey Welsh -- who played for Weezer from 1998-2001 -- was found dead in a Chicago hotel room yesterday afternoon after a suspected drug overdose.

According to Chicago police, Welsh was found unresponsive on the floor of his room at the Rafaello hotel after failing to check out on time.

An autopsy is scheduled for later today -- but according to authorities, narcotics are suspected as the cause of death.

According to the band's website, Welsh left the group in 2001 after suffering a nervous breakdown. We was 40 years old.

Danielle

I live in Chicago and heroin is everywhere, especially the west side. I know because I just got off it in August. RIP.

Danielle

I live in Chicago and heroin is everywhere. I use to do it so I know. RIP

Max

rest in peace~

CountryGal

40 years old? Way too young. RIP

Spencer B in MD

On Sept 26, this is what Mikey Tweeted:

"dreamt i died in chicago next weekend (heart attack in my sleep). need to write my will today."

Spencer B in MD

Here is a link to Mikey's Tweet:

CountryGal

Wow I didn't believe he really tweeter that so I went to check it out. How weird is that? It's like Lisa "left eye" Lopez when she made that video and kept saying she was going to die, then she did.

numerologist

numerology for Mikey Welsh:

R.I.P.

James R. - Los Angeles

Not surprised.

Drugs and music groups go hand-in-hand.

Tom C.

He's a real profit, predicting his own death from a drug overdose...a genius too.

Christy

After seeing that tweet I wonder if it was a suicide by drug overdose.

Mikey

Drugs are cool. Good for him, he finally got noticed.

atex

Very, very sad.....think it was a planned suicide too, there were several signs on his facebook page that would point to that (offering art for sale in the last few weeks and indicating the value would 'increase exponentially upon his expiration', among other things)...he was bi-polar, something that is so brutal and misunderstood- the medication to control it has horrific side effects....I think he also had some traumatic experiences in his life that he just couldn't get past....a very open and personable person with his fans who shared the good, bad and ugly....seemed like an incredibly loving but troubled man who couldn't find peace...I feel so very sorry for his parents, wife and kids (pray that his son doesn't inherit his bi-polar)...may he find the peace he couldn't find here on earth. This was not the typical spoiled, ungrateful rock star who O'D....

Claus

Damn... Rest in peace Mikey =w= Time to put on the green album.

who dat

Was he ever on Celebrity Rehab? Time to start keeping track.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments