« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Zooey Deschanel

Called Out for 'Fleeing'

the World Series

10/24/2011 7:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Game 4 of the World Series was AWESOME last night ... with the Cardinals nearly mounting a 9th inning comeback ... but Zooey Deschanel wouldn't know it, because she LEFT IN THE 6TH INNING!!

Zooey sang the national anthem before the game (great job, BTW) ... and then sat with her "New Girl" castmates in some super-expensive, close-to-the-action seats.

In the 4th inning, the camera cut to the actors ... and Fox announcer Joe Buck gave 'em props ... saying, "A lot of times, the stars have their moment on TV and then they just bolt."

But when the cameras cut back to Zooey's seats in the 7th inning ... they were empty.

Buck joked, "Maybe they're just out getting a snack ... all of 'em at once."

After the game, Zooey went to Twitter to explain her early departure ... saying, "Would have loved to have watched the whole game but I had to catch a plane so I can go to work tomorrow. That's all guys. I'm not a jerk."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Phreaky

Her singing is gross. That cotton commercial makes me cringe like nails on a chalkboard.

Bobbarnett

Why the hell would anyone watch those shows just bc a bunch of dorks are shown at a sporting event?

Jenny

Well if you had spent five minutes, getting her side of the story you would've seen her tweet about the plane she and her cast mates had to get because of their shooting schedule..

kimmi

Who cares about this annoying little doosh baguette???She sings like a skinned cat and her "acting" is almost as painfull.

Superman

WHO?!?!?

Apparently, another hollyweird nepotism product!

Mr. X

LMF and CAC: Take your boring-ass political fight ELSEWHERE.

We come here to get AWAY from that kind of crap.

Criss

I really like Zooey (but that's me)

Hawk

FOX has to stop it with this crap. Putting the stars of your new shows in the crowd at the world series makes the network look desperate. Nobody cares they are there!

stella

ok this would be an example of an inane non-story you use just to fill up space

jeez harvey - use your power and your resources to expose real corruption and real hypocrisy!

lee

Zooey posted on her FB page: "Would have loved to have watched the whole game but I had to catch a plane so I can go to work tomorrow. That's all guys. I'm not a jerk".
So back off DMZ & lets be getting the whole story or just close up shop.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Even if she didn't have a plane to catch and just wanted to leave, so what? Even if she left immediately after singing, so what?

I am Spartacus

well at least she watched 4 more innings than i have of this entire World Series. Does anyone care about the Texas Rangers vs the St. Louis Cardinals? As much as everyone hates to admit it, sports are more interesting with a Big Dog involved so without New York, Boston & Philly who really cares about these World Series outside of Texas & St. Louis?

The ratings were a 8.7, 8.9 & 8.2 through the 1st 3 games, don't know what last night pulled in but even with a close series it shows that nobody cares about who wins. Last year was the same thing with San Fran & Texas pulling in 8s in the ratings. In comparision when New York or Boston is in the WS the ratings are easily 10+.

tlm

Who the hell is this chick anyway? I've never heard of her before and after seeing her last night singing - I hope I don't have to endure her ever again.

Patricia`

FINALLY !!! Someone that sings it the way it was suppose to be sung...Great going Zooey...Beautiful

EmilyAnn

Omgosh, why is this even a story?!?! There is an honest explanation to this--she simply had to catch a flight! Why does everything on TMZ have to so damn sensationalized??! Slow news day much?? Plus she sang the National Anthem BEAUTIFULLY! And she's a kick ass actress. So leave Zooey alone. Her sister and her are probably the only *normal* and non-diva actresses in Hollywood. That's rare. I love you, Zooey!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments