Coroner:

Amy Winehouse Drank

Herself to Death

10/26/2011 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

amy whinehouse alcohol
Amy Winehouse
's blood alcohol level was more than 4 times the legal limit at the time of her death ... this according to the coroner who says the singer died as a direct result of over-consumption.

Coroner Suzanne Greenaway described the situation as, "Death by misadventure" ... noting that Winehouse voluntarily pounded an extraordinary amount of liquor in the hours before she died on July 23.

Winehouse -- who battled substance abuse issues for years -- was 27 years old at the time of her death.

Amy's family released a statement ... saying, "It is some relief to finally find out what happened to Amy.  We understand there was alcohol in her system when she passed away, it is likely a build up of alcohol in her system over a number of days."

The statement continues, "The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time. She had started drinking again that week after a period of abstinence."

"It underlines how important our work with the Amy Winehouse Foundation is to us, to help as many young people and children as we can in her name."

"It means a lot to us and from the overwhelming messages of support we have had since Amy died, we know she meant a great deal to people all over the world.  We want to thank everyone for that and for their continuing enthusiasm for the Foundation."

0823_remembering_amy_winehouse_footer

AlwaysOnTimeB

Amy died from Alcohol poisoning, drug abuse over a number of years and most of all a broken heart. RIP Amy!

XDrinker

Wow. Alcohol poisoning is actually not that common. It is hard to drink so much that you actually die from it. .4 BAC is considered fatal for most people, but there are hardcore drunks who can walk around and function at this level, because their tolerance is so high.

Reminds me of Janis Joplin...she had kicked heroin for almost 6 weeks, then decided to skin-pop a little one lonely night in October of 1970. The fact that she had been "clean" (I put the word in quotation marks, because even though she wasn't using junk, she still drank like a fish.) for weeks meant her body lost its tolerance. The smack she had bought that day hadn't been tested (her dealer's chemist was out of town that weekend)...at the height of her heroin addiction, she MIGHT have survived that dose, but it turns out, she died within 15 minutes of injecting it.

This is pure speculation on my part, but Winehouse had been supposedly sober for at least 3 weeks...and then downed an astonishingly large amount of booze...and her body wasn't accustomed to it. Don't forget; she was a tiny girl...couldn't have weighed more than 90 pounds. I have a friend who pushes 270 lbs and is ex-football player. He can drink a fifth of rum in 20 minutes and appear completely sober; a combination of tolerance and lots o' muscle.

Amy lived in constant emotional pain, as all addicts do. Don't know what her demons were, but she wasn't able to conquer them.

Sobriety is incredibly hard to maintain...it ain't for *******, that for sure.

Rest in Peace, Amy...and for anyone out there reading this, take heed: Booze is a DRUG, and a bad one at that. Best way not to be a drunk is to never start drinking.

(BTW, I think Lilo is the next to go...5 hours last night at the Marmont and then she falls down in her garage and crawls around on the floor while papps are snapping pix of her? Man..)

Johnpaul Bobrowski

Thi*****s home for me, I've literally carried an female alcoholic through 3 emergency room doors and later 3 separate Rehab Facilities. And, Yes -the nurses commended me for saving a life. (I am no savior) Addicts must pull themselves together and technically 'save themselve' But, when theres no one around, sadly some die. Al Anon John-Cleveland

Bitogood

During my last drunk, my bac was over .40 when admitted to ER. I don't remember much because I was in another blackout. I'm not proud of it...just stating that a persons alcohol toleance level increases after continued use, as mine did. It was an eye opener. Three days of detox, thirty days of inpatient rehab, and 18 months of sobriety later, life is wonderful again. Reading cases like this reminds me how lucky I am to be alive. I just hope one person out there gets the help they need because of this. You know when you have a problem. Denial is a powerful, destructive coping mechanism. OK, I'll jump off my soapbox now.

JiLL1

Everybody knew it was some sort of overdose. Everyone except her parents who are in serious denial.

dick

"Amy Winehouse's blood alcohol level was more than 4 times the legal limit"

I didn't realize that there was a legal limit for drinking alcohol in your own home. RIP Amy.

Rhubino

katie10:- you didn't fair well with reading comprehension I'm betting. I was/am a fan of Amy you effing reactive tool. Re-read what I said.

Danea

Why do 'reporters' always say that people are over the 'legal limit'? There is a legal limit for driving - is that what you are referring to? There is no legal limit to getting drunk at your own damn house. There is a physical limit, and Amy obviously passed that - but it's not illegal to get super-drunk!

Iris Myandowski

according to CNN : " Winehouse's blood-alcohol levels were 416 milligrams per 100 milliliters of blood, the inquest was told. The legal limit to drive in Britain is 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood." so that's actually FIVE times the legal limit and pretty much enough alcohol to kill a horse

Justin

No sympathy at all. People who drink themselves to death are just stupid and shouldn't be here anyway to pollute the gene pool further. I mean come on, with her tolerance I bet she drank a whole gallon of hard A. That's just not very smart.

dick

The legal limit to drive is totally irrelevant in Amy's case because she was in her home. It's like saying she was 40 times over the legal limit for minors (which is zero percent).

ElleRossi

Sad. Such a talented girl. And for those bashing her, come back after you have dealt with something as serious as her addiction was. As much as you would like to think that you can just walk away from something that powerful, that is what makes it so terrible, they CAN'T. We can say all of the typical clichés like, She could of if she wanted to, Boohoo she was rich and famous why would she need to do that etc... At the end of the day, it is sad that we lost her talent, and even worse that parents lost a daughter. As a parent I would be absolutely devastated to lose a child no matter what age or under what cir****tances. RIP Amy, I hope you found peace.

Kaffee

I heard the duet she did with Tony Bennett. She had a really beautiful voice. Really a shame that her demons wasted it.

Andrew

"Amy Winehouse's blood alcohol level was more than 4 times the legal limit at the time of her death"

Four times the legal limit for what, exactly? She didn't die behind the wheel of a car.

JiLL1

Addiction is very hard to recover from. No legal trouble, no threat of jail, no going to jail, no accidents, no anything makes an addiction person stop. Example, Lindsay Lohan. Only hitting rock bottom & unfortunately for Amy Winehouse that was death.