Omar Sharif

Slaps Woman

at Qatar Film Festival [VIDEO]

10/27/2011 9:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0_gcw2ofe1_0_3mf2iimg
Hollywood legend Omar Sharif lost his cool at a film festival in Qatar this morning ... and angrily slapped a woman right on the red carpet.

Sharif was at the Doha Tribeca Film Festival for a screening of one of his movies ... when a woman approached him on the red carpet ... and tried to take a picture with the 79-year-old actor.

Sharif -- who was nominated for an Oscar in 1962 for his role in "Lawrence of Arabia" -- lashed out in Arabic ... telling the woman to wait her turn ... and then slapping her.

Moments later, the woman smiled and posed for a photo with Sharif like nothing ever happened.

Watching from the video, it's unclear if Sharif made contact with the woman's face -- but one reporter who was at the scene tweeted, "Omar Sharif just hit a woman. Very stupidly, in front of a camera."

Sharif has a long history of getting physical with people -- back in 2003, he attacked a cop in a Paris casino and in 2007, he pleaded no contest to misdemeanor battery for beating up a Beverly Hills parking attendant.

Calls to Sharif's camp have not been returned.

lalaland

I'd like to see the parking attendant that got beat up by a 75 year-old man.

Truth

"Watching from the video, it's unclear if Sharif made contact with the woman's face" LOOK AT THE HEADLINE. Typical TMZ.
He obviously didn't hit her in the face. Silly people, he hit her hair. She is smiling at it all.

Anthony03

Can anyone translate? This is insane. I get instant anger after watching this a-hole do this. Not cool. It looks like he scolded her, she said sorry, then he's like well, let me make it up to you, smile with me... What a tool.

tessa

what an ass he is

Glenda in Texas

What the hell?

Matt

That is Christian Bale in 40 years.

Fred Farkel

And not one "man" stood up and smacked him back???

OK.

Whatever.

Swords Woman

I met him in Damascus in '72 at a hotel we were staying in. He actually brought me to have tea with him at the hotel to watch a parade that was going through the streets. He was absolutely lovely and was very sweet to me. Of course, I was only 9 years old then...

longagain

He's still alive? Just like Fish (Abe Vigoda) you think they're lost past. Omar's always been a loser. He did an interview once about his gambling problems. His famous line was about how his people "arabs" are all lazy, it is just their culture. He then went onto say that losing everything in the casino makes him feel clean. Whack job!

Jo Anne

Cross his movies off my list of any that I'll be paying to see. Whether he hit her or not, his anger will resonate with me and overshadow anything I'd see on screen now...

Chuck

Omar Sharif...keeping his pimp hand strong...

grilled

Nothing to do with age but rather culture. Arabs threat women like trash, have the biggest ego and take praise in their countries when we all know the truth about the middle east. They're really a joke

jenna

I WOULD HAVE KICK HIM IN THE BALLS :)

aquanet

That was sad to watch.

I'll take a drunken Peter O'Toole anyday of th eweek.

Tammy

This is normal in his culture and I'm sure the woman knew the consequences for her inappropriate action beforehand and chose still chose to do the action. I am not saying I approve of hitting women, but if you grow up in a place where there is a known consequence for a particular action, saying getting a ticket for speeding, and you chose to do the action, then you're accepting the possible consequence.