Legendary Oscar Producer

Dead at 77

11/1/2011 9:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

1101_gilbert_cates_EX_01
Legendary Academy Awards producer Gilbert Cates has died ... TMZ has learned.

Cates was known as THE go-to producer for the Oscars -- putting together a record 14 shows over 18 years, between 1990 and 2008 ... more than any other Academy Awards producer in history.

He was the uncle of actress Phoebe Cates.

Sources tell TMZ, Gilbert's body was discovered last night in a parking lot at UCLA. Emergency teams responded to a call on the campus around 5:50PM, but were unable to revive Cates.

The L.A. County coroner is investigating the cause of death. Cates underwent heart surgery earlier this month.

He was 77.

1101_remembering_gilbert_cates_footer

MIDNIGHT TOKER

I thought col sanders died many years ago...

Arcadia Rink

R.I.P.

Strokadellic

Never even heard of this geezer.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

wasnt he in the good,the bad and the ugly..old clint eastwood movie

JiLL1

So he's the guy responsible for producing the painfully boring , drawn out, mind-numbing, crap award show known as the Oscars?

Jackie

Hmm!!!...New infamous people on TMZ today. wow!

Phreaky

In the parking lot? Wow - musta been another one that said "no really, I don't need an ambulance, I'm fine! I'll drive myself over and get checked if it gets worse..."
Ugh, silly people.

TheRicker

I'm sorry for this gentleman and his family, but, God damn, it may well be a blessing for the Oscars...

Abe

Reportedly, Gilbert's last words were, "That's a take!"

x

kat

RIP. Dying alone is a parking lot is very sad.

BTW some of you people must lead very sad empty lives that you feel the need to make nasty comments about someone's death. Get out of you parents basements and join the real world.

Cheryl A.

Was he going to the hospital or getting out of the hospital? I bet the hospital prays he was going in so they don't get sued.

Delaware D

"welcome to Jurassic Park!"

3Storms

I honestly don't knw who he is, but loff of each and every life is a tragedy just the same. May God be with his family.

Where's KOOKY?

C'mon, everyone -- let's show a little class. Gil Cates was actress Phoebe Cate's father, and the father-in-law of actor Kevin Kline. And, grandfather to their kids.

Deepest condolences to the Cates family. Your dad and grandfather was well-respected in the Hollywood community and will be missed.

bring back recent posts

....don't know why bothering me today..since the usual ignorant comments are posted daily here..but some of u REALLY are losers...with that said...how sad he was so alone at the end..terrible for his family to live with..so , so sad..I remember him well when the Oscars would show him in the control room each year..alot for his family too be proud of..rip Sir

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments