'Family Circus' Cartoonist Bil Keane

Dead at 89

11/9/2011 9:43 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1109_Bil_Keane_bn
Bil Keane, the man behind the iconic comic strip "Family Circus" died yesterday ... he was 89.

"Family Circus" has been in circulation for more than 50 years and is currently featured in roughly 1,500 newspapers.  The single panel strip centers around the antics of four young kids, Billy, Dolly, Jeffy, baby PJ and their parents.

Keane was working right up to the end ... his final "Family Circus" comic is dated October 26th.

1109_last_comic

stu

the word "comics" is misused today.
Born Loser is the only funny one.

Bodie

R.I.P. Mr. Keane,
thanks for leaving a positive legacy of laughter and giggles!

Seems TMZ still thinks Lindsay on the way into the morgue again is more worthy to a gentlemans legacy and passing??

Kaffee

RIP, Mr. Keane. When I was younger, used to faithfully read your comics--loved them!

Betsy

I loved Family Circus, sad to hear of Mr. Keane's passing. Hey TMZ you're losing your touch - you forgot to mention that Bil Keane was the husband of Erma Bombeck. He used to illustrate her books.

UPYOURS

This is just sad, this guy was a terrific cartoonist. RIP

dave

Worst comic ever-never funny or original-for people who laugh at Larry the Cable Guy-they'll laugh at anything.

jxtr

I loved that comic strip. I thought it was funny and enjoyable.

Yamiguru

RIP Bil Keane! <3 Family Circus!

Mazor

Stupid people will laugh at anything. The popularity of this piece of sh*t unfunny comic proves only that most people are stupid.

Muppet

Awwww I loved this man's cartoons! He will be sadly missed!!! Rest in peace. :(

FIVEONETWO

What TMZ, you forgot to mention their dog BARFY?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIP

john johnson

r.i.p. friend. i guess i did enjoy his work, but i was really waiting to see the day when he would show those kids FINALLY get an ass-whipping from their parent for making trouble around the house.

spam

Betsy, Bil Keane was NOT Erma Bombeck's husband. Her husbans was Bill Bombeck. Keane's wife was Thelma Carne, the inspiration for FC's "Mommy."

sam gutam

Its quite ironic. His final comic was the first one that actually made me laugh out loud after seeing it for 29 years! You finally got me family circus! : )

LindaJay

R.I.P. Bil Keane, also Heavy D, Joe Frazier and even Andy Rooney. Nevertheless, PTL.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments