T.I.

Some Gays are 'Not American'

11/27/2011 6:42 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1126_ti_tmz
T.I. thinks gays need to get over themselves ... at least the ones who try and muzzle people from telling harmless jokes.

T.I. was discussing gay rights with Vibe magazine -- an issue he says he supports -- and then mentioned Tracy Morgan's controversial comments earlier this year:

"Man, I will say this, the funniest joke I ever heard Tracy say during a stand-up was, 'C'mon man, I think gay people are too sensitive. If you can take a d**k, you can take a joke.' [Cracks up laughing.] That s**t was funny to me. And it’s kind of true."

Then T.I. unloaded ... talking about oversensitivity in the gay community, which he believes betrays the First Amendment which guarantees freedom of speech.

"They’re like,‘If you have an opinion against us, we’re gonna shut you down.’ ... That’s not American. If you’re gay you should have the right to be gay in peace, and if you’re against it you should have the right to be against it in peace."

So we ask ...

Drew88

Freedom of speech is a fundamental right of any free society. However, inciting others to violence against any one group or to cause pain or humiliation with words of hate, should not be tolerated by that society.

carla

Bossip is racist and hurtful . Don't go to that site and help shut it down.
Racism should not be tolerated. Don't just sit back and be attacked . This woman or man is out of line in an enormous way. Tmz print that why don't u? Or is it just he gays that should be protected? We should all be stopping this kind of behavior. A comedian is the least of our concern. This is a website creating hates against whites and over races . It's unacceptable and should be put out on blast. Call them out tmz . Be a fair entertainment news site and make a difference for our children. Do some good!

Vicky

Wow. I'm really surprised by the reaction to this poll and article. American media has become so ridiculously PC, I expected people to oppose T.I.'s opinion. I'm on the fence about it. While I believe it is our right to express our opinions freely, I also believe it is the right of those who are the fodder for those opinions or jokes to stand up for themselves. Do I think the LGBT organizations are too sensitive? Yeah, but I think all of these politically motivated reactionary groups are too sensitive. America overall is too sensitive. Too uptight and overly censored. How controlled the media is with language and nudity and sexuality only fortifies the ignorance people have over people from different walks of life. Our government needs to let go of it's puritanical roots and let it's freak flag fly.

burning_plastic

Quagmire: 4 hours ago

Have to agree with this man. People...and you know who you are...need to get over your hypersensitive selves. The more you whine and cry about every little thing, the worse it will get for you.

*********************************************
You sound weak. Who are you talking to, anyway? "The worse it will get for you?" Like a threat, like you're a bully? You're weak.

John

Does this also apply to Blacks who dress in "Preppy" style?

Jamie

I wonder if he found Michael Richards ni**er rant just as funny. I am a gay man and yes sometimes we are a bit sensitive sometimes but lets not forget the part when tracey said he would beat up his son if he was gay. That **** actually happens to some people to the extent that they kill themselves. There is a fine line between a funny joke and a completely offensive statement. Tracey crossed the line.

annoyed

He seems to be confusing two issues: over-sensitivity to jokes and anti-gay remarks. Gays, like many other groups out there, can be very sensitive -- true. But there is a fine line between jokes at the hands of comedians, and blatant homophobic and anti-gay remarks -- huge difference. I agree with the previous poster re: interracial marriage -- if a white person made the same comment about a blacks, they'd be crucified for being racist (see: Richards, Michael; Gibson, Mel)

renae

There is always someone who will be offended by something but if younger going to tell a joke, make sure it's funny. That being said, humor is personal and subjective and the part when Tracy Morgan said he would stab his son if he was gay wasn't funny to me....at all.

If feel as if sometimes different groups are a bit overly sensitive about things but comedy generally crosses the line. If it's funny, it's not generally considered to be coming from a bad place. It's when the joke isn't funny ( like some of jokes people are on here trying to tell). What Tracy Morgan said was bad, but I have never seen so many blatantly homophobic, racist and misogynistic comments than on this website ran by a man who only seems to react in disgust when very specific communities are degraded. I've noticed TMZ's attempts at comedy can at times come off as insensitive occasionally.

TI was expressing his opinion and he's right in some
Respects but I also know that if someone made a unfunny joke about his incarceration or his womans looks, he wouldn't find that funny.

Everyone needs to get it together. The Internet seems to be the place for closet, hate filled idiots to express themselves anonymously.

Eric

I agree with him completely it's like you can't have a different opinion than them. Comedians make fun of everybody and gay people shouldn't be off limits.

Bob

let's start joking about black people and slavery. that would go down well, would it not? oh wait a minute! THAT WOULD BE RACIST... im sure TI would laugh it's head off if we started joking about every black person being a drug addicted rapist and a thief/murderer. (and yes- i am being sarcastic here if you didnt get it)

ddm

I wonder if he would feel the same about harmless BLACK jokes where they replace BLACK with the N word..Something tells me he wouldnt feel the same way.

Jackson

I agree with him. I also agree with Michael Richards. People are too sensitive. Sometimes the word ****** is funny.

amitola76

Sounds like he needs to take his own advice, when comedians mention N jokes it's not so funny then huh

Ben

Let's see if the Blacks feel the same way when the sarcastic N jokes are said by people NOT of there race and culture. Should be fine right?

k

I agree with T.I.; however, the same can be said for other groups, such as African-Americans and other minorities, who are equally over-sensitive. Generally speaking, they can di***** out, but they can't take it.