Matisyahu

I Shaved My Big

Jewish Beard

12/13/2011 8:22 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Matisyahu without beardOrthodox Jew rapper Matisyahu took a razor blade to the face this week ... and shaved off his trademark beard ... or so it seems.

Matisyahu just posted the shorn pics of himself on his Twitter page ... along with the message, "At the break of day I look for you at sunrise ... When the tide comes in I lose my disguise."

We're reaching out to Matisyahu for comment -- we'll fill you in on the beard drama as it unfolds.

update_bar

10:38 AM PST -- Matisyahu has posted a blog, explaining his decision to chop his face warmer ... in which he writes, "No more Chassidic reggae superstar."

He adds, "Sorry folks, all you get is me ... no alias.  When I started becoming religious 10 years ago it was a very natural and organic process.  It was my choice.  My journey to discover my roots and explore Jewish spirituality—not through books but through real life."

"At a certain point I felt the need to submit to a higher level of religiosity…to move away from my intuition and to accept an ultimate truth.  I felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules -- lots of them -- or else I would somehow fall apart.  I am reclaiming myself.  Trusting my goodness and my divine mission.

Get ready for an amazing year filled with music of rebirth.  And for those concerned with my naked face, don’t worry…you haven’t seen the last of my facial hair."

Matisyahu

Sasha

Correction: Matisyahu is not a "JEW Rapper" He is a JewISH! Rapper. It's a very offensive way of describing his Jewish status.

jdub

He's losing his disguise... So he's really a skinhead?

Jessie

Who cares,he needs to relax a bit more at www.onlinescratchcardreviews.com

sinu

Why the free pass on religious jokes? If it were Tim Tebow...

R

I don't know who he is but he looks hundreds of times better (years off) without that disgusting beard.

ANON

He didn't use a Razor. Still has stubble: http://yfrog.com/mgj7ezhj

Throwback kid

Wow, breaking news, hey TMZ don't forget to tell us when K Fed decides to fimally take a shower

LISA

Wow ! He's good looking.

Ivy

Matt Miller is back!!

cindy

Thank God! I was worried that he was hideing small rats in there.

HRH Prince Michael

Although I'm not familiar with much of his work, I'm extremely impressed by the music that I have heard.

The Beard drama? A Nazirite vow? Moses and Samson -among others- were Nazirs.

Anyway, A Happy and Most Blessed Chanukah, Christmas, and Holiday Season to all! Shalom!

scp2569

This morning I posted a photo of myself on Twitter.

No more Chassidic reggae superstar.

Sorry folks, all you get is me…no alias. When I started becoming religious 10 years ago it was a very natural and organic process. It was my choice. My journey to discover my roots and explore Jewish spirituality—not through books but through real life. At a certain point I felt the need to submit to a higher level of religiosity…to move away from my intuition and to accept an ultimate truth. I felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules—lots of them—or else I would somehow fall apart. I am reclaiming myself. Trusting my goodness and my divine mission.

Get ready for an amazing year filled with music of rebirth. And for those concerned with my naked face, don’t worry…you haven’t seen the last of my facial hair.

- Matisyahu

Derrick

Looks like most of you never heard his music. Youtube him! He is a great live artist.

disinter

OK just listened to it, I wouldn't say it's rap at all. Pretty pure reggae. With that being said it comes off as pretentious hippy crap and it's nothing that hasn't already been done a billion times. This is just basically just another concept of John Lennon's "Imagine". Wonder if he donates all of his profits to peace corp because if not, he's all talk.

privateyak

HERE THE VIDEO !!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bUH8yfCnxY&context=C2f7b1ADOEgsToPDskJa8Oeb_2JZyOSBrJc27737

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments