Matisyahu

I Shaved My Big

Jewish Beard

12/13/2011 8:22 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Matisyahu without beardOrthodox Jew rapper Matisyahu took a razor blade to the face this week ... and shaved off his trademark beard ... or so it seems.

Matisyahu just posted the shorn pics of himself on his Twitter page ... along with the message, "At the break of day I look for you at sunrise ... When the tide comes in I lose my disguise."

We're reaching out to Matisyahu for comment -- we'll fill you in on the beard drama as it unfolds.

update_bar

10:38 AM PST -- Matisyahu has posted a blog, explaining his decision to chop his face warmer ... in which he writes, "No more Chassidic reggae superstar."

He adds, "Sorry folks, all you get is me ... no alias.  When I started becoming religious 10 years ago it was a very natural and organic process.  It was my choice.  My journey to discover my roots and explore Jewish spirituality—not through books but through real life."

"At a certain point I felt the need to submit to a higher level of religiosity…to move away from my intuition and to accept an ultimate truth.  I felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules -- lots of them -- or else I would somehow fall apart.  I am reclaiming myself.  Trusting my goodness and my divine mission.

Get ready for an amazing year filled with music of rebirth.  And for those concerned with my naked face, don’t worry…you haven’t seen the last of my facial hair."

Matisyahu

tziporah

wow, pretty amazing when breaking news is that a beard got shaved off lol

Michael Jackson Was A Pedo

Who?

bluzzone

All the wild life must have died in there.

BB not bb

What do Rastafarianism and Orthodox Judaism really have in common anyway? His schtick kind of gives me a headache. It would be like Bob Marley playing Klemzner music. I don't really get it.

It seems what the two religions have in common is lots of long hair. Now that that is gone, is he going to be singing punk rock or something? He has a skinhead now.

I think they used to have a band called the Amish Outlaws who played heavy metal or something in those black farmer outfits. I don't know if they were any good, I think they sank into obscurity. It seems like a novelty act to me.

mattar

he used religion to get ahead in the music business. Before he had the beard, the hat, and the religious garb, he was just another unrecognized, mediocre wannabe

Matt

And this matters how? I'm waiting.... Talk amongst yourselves.

Karly

If you know who Matisyahu is and you are a fan. This is a big Deal.

dropscience

Dude needs to get more sleep. Those bags are sagging.

john amadasun

You don;t have to be dread to be a rasta, big...up. matisyahu one love.

Misty

One, do't know the guy. Two, don't care much if he has a beard or not. Three, the only part level of caring I have on the subject is that his beard was ugly as sin and at least now it is gone. Never been a fan of the Deliverance Hillbilly look.

john amadasun

You don't have to be dread to be a rasta. big..up. matisyahu.

ralphie

Grow it back you are uglier without it

A. Shindel

So I guess Matisyahu is letting his "fame" cloud his judgement of religion? Wth- I guess he's going off the derech(path) too. Sad to think that religion is just a "convenience" thing!?!

john5oregon

Remind me again why we're supposed to care?

jonathan salazar

I can't Believe Matisyahu woulddo something like this in a million years.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments