Matisyahu

I Shaved My Big

Jewish Beard

12/13/2011 8:22 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Matisyahu without beardOrthodox Jew rapper Matisyahu took a razor blade to the face this week ... and shaved off his trademark beard ... or so it seems.

Matisyahu just posted the shorn pics of himself on his Twitter page ... along with the message, "At the break of day I look for you at sunrise ... When the tide comes in I lose my disguise."

We're reaching out to Matisyahu for comment -- we'll fill you in on the beard drama as it unfolds.

update_bar

10:38 AM PST -- Matisyahu has posted a blog, explaining his decision to chop his face warmer ... in which he writes, "No more Chassidic reggae superstar."

He adds, "Sorry folks, all you get is me ... no alias.  When I started becoming religious 10 years ago it was a very natural and organic process.  It was my choice.  My journey to discover my roots and explore Jewish spirituality—not through books but through real life."

"At a certain point I felt the need to submit to a higher level of religiosity…to move away from my intuition and to accept an ultimate truth.  I felt that in order to become a good person I needed rules -- lots of them -- or else I would somehow fall apart.  I am reclaiming myself.  Trusting my goodness and my divine mission.

Get ready for an amazing year filled with music of rebirth.  And for those concerned with my naked face, don’t worry…you haven’t seen the last of my facial hair."

Matisyahu

Laura

Beard drama...seriously? So day I guess.

Jay W.

Who cares?

disinter

Who? Why the hell would this guy no one knows or cares about possibly get an article on tmz? Oh wait, sorry didn't see where it said "jewish" at first.

mebrat24

who-

Jackie

Roflmao. Fill us with better stories than "beard drama"

charley

WHO GIVES A PHK! WAS GOING TO GET A SONY TV, BUT WITH THESE ANNOYING POP UPS...DECIDED ON ANOTHER BRAND.......TMZ TAKE IT OFF!

Mumra the Ever Living

An Orthodox Jew who would shave his beard? I guess his religious beliefs are as contrived as his "rap".

Sarafina

Lice?

Ozzie X

He still looks like a bum.

♫ Gina ♪

Love him !

Lauren

whoaaa

Tom Brokaw

who the ***** cares TMZ, we know everyone there is Jewish but come on

Wash. Hts. Girl

He shaved for Chanukah?

Tzipi

Your Peyos?!?!?!?!
Why would an Orthodox Jew Shave his beard AND PEYOS?!?!

Mindy

You are still beautiful, and try listening to some of his music before you judge. Google Matisyahu - One day

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments