« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

'85 Chicago Bears Star

Cops Found My Super Bowl Ring

... Thanks to TMZ

12/16/2011 2:52 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1216_willie_gault_tmz_EX
Former Chicago Bears star Willie Gault has his 1985 Super Bowl ring back ... after it was stolen from his L.A. home last month ... and Willie says TMZ played a huge role in the recovery!!

Willie just called the TMZ newsroom and gave us the great news ... saying LAPD officers from the West Valley division managed to locate the ring and some of his wife's jewelry -- and it's now back in the right hands.

TMZ broke the story ... Willie's home was burglarized in early November ... and some soulless, pathetic scumbag (or scumbags) made off with $100k in jewelry, including the famous ring.

Willie says ... when he picked up the items, cops informed him that the original TMZ story "ignited a nationwide manhunt that allowed [law enforcement] to locate the ring and some of the jewelry. "

Willie says, "Me and wife were huge TMZ fans before, but now we're even bigger fans."

Gault told us cops informed him that an investigation into the burglary is still ongoing -- and so far, no arrests have been made.

Willie added, "The ring didn't define me as a person, I knew the accomplishments I made ... I came to peace that I wouldn't get it back ... but, of course, I'm THRILLED that I did."

update_bar
An LAPD spokesman tells TMZ ... a sports memorabilia collector spotted the ring at a downtown L.A. jewelry store ... and notified detectives because he knew the ring had been stolen.

Detectives went down to the store and found the ring ... along with some of the family jewelry.

The owner of the store was arrested for possession of stolen property. The investigation is ongoing.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Throwback kid

Alot of former players are selling their Super Bowl rings because they go broke after their playing days, this story sounded fishy from the begining, inside job?

Mel Zipskin

This guy is one of the good guys. Glad he got his ring back!

writenow

This is way more exciting than Storage Wars. ;)

scott4521

Wasn't this on an episode of that show "Still Standing" on CBS? I'm fairly sure it was Willie Gault and the main characters lost his '85 ring lol. One of my favorite shows cancelled too soon!

Carl

The jewelry store owner is a moron. Superbowl rings very rarely come up for sale, and player rings even less. On top of that he was on of the stars of of one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) teams in NFL history. Obviously someone was going to spot it.

senior citizen

Glad you have it back but Dude, safe deposit box! Do you really have to look at it every day - after all these years??????????? Even my wedding ring is in the box these days.

Cool Papa

This is Speedy Willie, and I'm world class.
I like runnin' but i love to get the pass.
I practice all day and dance all night,
I got to get ready for the Sunday fight.
Now I'm as smooth as a chocolate swirl,
I dance a little funky, so watch me girl.
There's not one here that does it like me,
My Super Bowl Shuffle will set you free.

Hisjules

test

Alyssa

@ Scott...you are right, that was the reason I came to comment on this cause I remember him being on the still standing where Bill took the ring and acted like it was his. And it did end to soon.

Scott4521

Wasn't this on an episode of that show "Still Standing" on CBS? I'm fairly sure it was Willie Gault lol. One of my favorite shows cancelled too soon!

Janroc

Way to go TMZ! I was hoping his ring would be found. It's irreplaceable.

ManiacalZebra

I'm glad he got it back.

anon

It would be nice if Willie Gault gave the collector who spotted the ring some sort of a reward.