Matisyahu

Accused of Kicking Woman

in the Face at Concert

12/23/2011 10:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1223_matisyahu_tmz_BNFormerly bearded Jewish rapper Matisyahu allegedly booted a female photojournalist in the face at a concert in Brooklyn this week ... all because he felt the flash was "distracting."

It all went down Wednesday night -- when a photog named Rebecca Smyne tweeted, "I was just attacked by mAtisyahu calling cops pressing charges. Wtf! He kicked me in face and broke my camera!!!!!"

A short time later, Smyne went back to Twitter and explained ... "I'm ok; after cops showed, matisyahu's manager, who witnessed the incident, gave me a fat stack of cash to cover damages. Happy hanukkah!"

After the show Matisyahu, posted a tweet to Rebecca ... saying, "sorry about last night.I totally snapped.I wouldn't call it a kick, more like stepping into the crowd."

He continued, "being that you've shot so many shows you should know how distracting a huge flash in your face is."

Rebecca claims she barely used a flash that night -- and calls BS on Matisyahu's "it wasn't a kick" defense ... saying, "He stepped on my face on purpose ... it hurt."

update_bar
Matisyahu released a statement shortly after the incident -- saying, “I regret what transpired when I tried to remove the camera from the photographer’s hands last night ... I reacted impulsively out of frustration and for that I apologize.”

Les Moore

I don't think you'll ever hear we need more ********s like this hero.

magentapyramid

They all sound like major losers.

Dan Frederiksen

he needs Jesus

bostnkid

he is well known as one of the nicest most gentle guys in the business. wtf diff does it made that he shaved his beard? he is a deeply spiritual, kind, and unaffected artist. im sure he didnt like the flash but i have a hard time believing he would kick someome in the face.

"all my life I've been waiting for
I've been praying for
for the people to say
that we don't wanna fight no more
they'll be no more wars
and our children will play
one day"

this guys real.

tellmeaboutit

Never heard of this dude before, then tmz unearths him and the couple of times he's mentioned, it's because he's an ass. TMZ, upgrade a little, will you?

New Orleans

He's a woman hating bigot. Women and sensible men should all boycott his shows and music.

jumbo

i first saw the air jordon article and now after this i envisioned the guy stepping on this person's face leaving a huge jordon logo imprinted on her forehead...

not cool... control yourself dude..

Gerri

A violent rapper with female issues? What a surprise. Not.

lynda

Amazing how a "fat stack of cash" can cure one's outrage so readily

ab

And to all you haters who have never done wrong... the guy apologized multiple times and compensated her for her troubles. she couldnt have been happier...what more do you want? why you all making this a woman hating issue? in the end he did the right thing and should be recognized.

ab

So Rebecca was it a kick or was it a step? So you called the cops to press charges or to extort cash? Nice to know you can be bought. Get your story straight and stop acting like a sellout ho. Whoever hires you should be grateful no one knows you or who you work for.

Dave

look something is going on with the guy, but he clearly didn't kick her in the face if she only has a broken camera and is up and twittering immediately....I'm sure the first stop after a kick in the face would be to her lawyer and / or plastic surgeon

Kris in NYC

flashes in general at concerts are not allowed, but when you are a photographer with a pass, you are allowed to use flash. And photographers have an area between the stage anmd the audience to shoot for the first 3 songs. the whole "stepping into the audience" thing is bull. The audeience was BEHIND HER....

CR

Pics or it didn't happen!

Jef Rend

He had one hit song and the only good version is the Live one from Stubbs. Now he proves himself to be unprofessional too.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments