Russell Brand

Files for Divorce

from Katy Perry

12/30/2011 3:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Katy Perry and Russell Brand divorce documents
Russell Brand
has filed for divorce from Katy Perry ... TMZ has learned.

In the docs, filed in L.A., Brand cites "irreconcilable differences." The two were married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.  They have no kids.

The divorce docs say there are "community property assets" -- it's a sign there might not be a prenup, or if there is one it doesn't cover all of the earnings and other assets they accumulated.

The docs do not give a date the couple separated.

Russell has released a statement, claiming, "Sadly, Katy and I are ending our marriage. I'll always adore her and I know we'll remain friends."

Russell proposed to Katy in India on New Year's Eve 2009 -- nearly two years ago ... to the day.

Sources had told TMZ the couple was having problems, evidenced by the fact that they spent Christmas apart and neither was wearing a wedding ring.

Although it's not 100%, based on what we now know it appears Brand may have blindsided Perry by filing the divorce petition.

Russell appeared on "Ellen" just this month, slamming divorce rumors (below) -- claiming, "I'm really happily married ... I’m married to Katy. Perpetually, until death do us part was the pledge. I’m still alive."

1230_katy_perry_russell_brand_SPLIT_footer

Recent Divorces

steve

Wow I am in absolute shock. NOT! I'm surprised that this joke of a marriage even lasted a year. Hollywood divorce lawyers continue to get rich off stupid celebrities.

Cathy

I logged onto this site thru a link sent to me. Don't you all have something better to do than actually caring about two strangers are divorcing and all the other gossip? I have some suggestions of what you should care about: sick children, animal rescue-how about volunteering at a shelter to drive adoptions (hundreds of thousands of healthy dogs and cats are killed each year in the US), save endangered species, help the whales, elephants and other animals being slaughtered, this is a good one-child sex slavery, plenty of things to do other than worry about than which strangers are cheating or divorcing...!!!!!!!

Дулмаа

OMG. Би та хоёрыг үнэхээр бие биендээ үнэнч гэж бодож байсан штээээ. Кати, чи яагаад энийг бүтээе гэж бодсонгүй вэээ!!!!

rick

its a Muppet show......... Hollywood..

Joyce

Katy..........he is ugly, scrawny and has yellow teeth. You can get the hunk you should have who smells good, takes a bath & combs his hair & brushes his teeth. Just sayin.......

Liz

I didn't think it would last. He's such a womanizer and an alcoholic and drug addict. She knew what he was when she married him. Obviously monogamy is not something he wants.

Reignee

What a bummer !!

Adele

i just hope you both are ok ! love you both vey much

sadie

married Oct. 23, 2010 in India.

McTruth

Well, knock me over with a feather! I'm surprised it took this long for Katy to grow tired of this overrated, talentless, one-dimensional-comedy-actor hack, who was a "has-been'' before his career even started. Maybe she'll start appreciating the normal, decent, "Average Joes" she pines for in her songs, and men who don't have to be "on" 24-7 to show they're worth to her obviously questionable standards. To be fair, she's not the first woman to be taken in by a clown with a ****ney accent. And unfortunately, she won't be the last. Learn from this Katy. Learn from this.

wendy

cathy, post # 347... he he he. " don't you all have something better to do...etc." ha ha haaaaaa. the question was leaning towards don't we viewers have anything better than to be on TMZ's webpage, then writing a comment. I wish I would have followed her lead instead, you know, reading TMZ's webpage, then posting a comment!. I'm ashamed at my choice! I also have a suggestion as to a "better thing for her to do today", she could **** herself!!!! Now, if she reads this, what does that say about her?

naan

Wow,hot news~~~
Any one wanna free sign up on _Casual-Relationship.C óMit's the most effective--- site in the world to connect with, to find intimate encounters.There you may easily find one night stand with sexy girls or handsome men....you may check it out ,Hope you like it,nothing lose if you don't like.Good luck!

D-Money

She's still banging Travie, I knew this would happen.

anonymous

I don't understand why people in hollywood even get married.

Isabella

Wondering if Sarah Silverman had anything to do with this?