« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NHL Star Taylor Hall

GNARLIEST Hockey Injury Ever

Revealed in Photo

1/19/2012 3:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Taylor Hall head scarNHL superstar Taylor Hall is lucky to be alive after an ice skate ripped his skull open -- and his team just tweeted the first photo of the nasty ... NASTY aftermath.

The Edmonton Oilers star forward suffered a Frankenstein-like gash Tuesday night when he fell during warmups, and collided with a teammate who couldn't avoid slamming his skate on Hall's head. He needed 30 stitches to stop the bleeding!

0120_hockey_sub_launch
Hall -- who's been out of the lineup since the injury -- was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident. NHL players are required to wear helmets during games, but not warmups.

The Oilers are now advising their players to wear helmets -- while other teams are making it mandatory.

0823_celebrity_injuries_footer_v2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

James R. - Los Angeles

Get well soon Taylor.

I am Spartacus

i'm surprised you don't see more stories about guys getting cut by the blades on the skates. It hurts me just looking at it, he's lucky to be alive. Hopefully he can recover.

Jen

Chicks dig scars! ;-)

Cognizant _illiberal

hahahahahahha whites playing sports, leave the sports to us it is our reperations

Rome

thirty stitches! must have not seen a plastic surgeon I had about 70 for a 5 inch cut

lalaland

Ah, jeez, guys. I JUST ate lunch, man.

Criss

Damn!

TheHonestBitch

That's hockey for you. Darryl Boyce's nose was a more disturbing picture and he didn't miss a single game

Jay W.

Damn man... helluva injury.

Oilogosphere.com

I don't think that is the gnarliest ever revealed in photo; but definitely a brutal image nonetheless.

Pretty sweet TMZ is covering something a little cooler than their typical celebrity nonsense.

What about Borje Salming (see image) http://postmediaedmonton.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/image32.png - now that is a nasty hockey laceration.

Dan

Apparently TMZ never saw the one where a guy got his throat sliced opened and was bleeding all over the ice. Can't remember what his name was, but that was truly "gnarly".

yeah, I'm way out of line.

So he has a nasty gash on his face. Big deal. I had my face in some nasty gash a little while ago.

Alex Rene

BEAST!!

Tim

Oh, I beg to differ. Borje Salming in 1986. 250 stiches! Google image it.

Straight Talkin Texan

Those skate blades are serious! I used to compete in figure skating, and one time as I was coming out of a spin, another skater skated backwards into me. I accidentally sliced open her calf muscle almost all the way down to the bone. Awful!!!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments