« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Westboro Baptist Church

to Picket His Funeral

1/22/2012 11:56 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Joe PaternoMargie Phelps, daughter of Pastor Fred Phelps, announced on Twitter today the Westboro Baptist Church would be picketing the funeral of former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno.

Paterno passed away earlier today from lung cancer. He was 85.

Last October, Westboro announced they would picket the funeral of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. They also picketed the funeral of Michael Jackson.

The church is known for their extreme views against homosexuality. Based on other tweets (see below), Paterno's involvement in the Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse scandal is what drew their attention.

MargiePhelps tweet: Penn State Penn Rape rings in Joe Paterno's ears in hell. He partook of sin for fame & fortune. Worth NOTHING to him now.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Janet Becraft

I don't think that any funeral should not be picketing because when someone passes away, it should be left alone and let the family have their private funeral with the loss of the love one.

Youpeople Arecrazy

You religious people are ****ing insane.

Therese

screw u u immoral *******s. who do u think u r. none of u will get into heaven. leave joe paterno alone and anyone else u think are not as good as u. and u will be in for a big suprise when u all end up in hell. u r not christians u r all hate mongers.

Matt

I DARE THOSE WEST BORO ASS HOLES TO PICKET A FUNERAL FOR A CRIP OR A BLOOD. in my opinion, they're just picking on law abiding and defensless citizens that wont fight back. Cant wait for them to protest the WRONG funeral. This people are nuts, and are disrespectful to the fullest.

Sportsmom

When I heard the death of Joe Paterno, the only greatest college football coach ever, I WAS VERY SADDENED. I have watched him and listened to how he was pa to everyone. The thing that makes me sick to my stomach is when I came upon an article regarding his death (Mail Online) and at the bottom of the page I saw margiejphelps twitter or whatever saying how he is in hell and stop pimping your kids to raping coaches and went on an on also stated that westboro baptist church will protest his funeral. Talk about sick, I think she or whatever he or she is has no respect for others and now way is someone of the lord or talking like she is. She talks about burning in hell, but WHAT IS IN YOUR CLOSET MARGIE J PHELPS

Chuck

To really get the nations attention the Westboro wackos should hang themselves in a public place ! Hint hint westboro !!!!!!!!

reddancergal

The time to have spoken out against Paterno was when he was alive. So where the bloody h**l was this church then? Nope, they're just famew***s looking for some free publicity, revolting lot of numpties.

HXS549

Stop giving these people press!! This is the kind of thing that keeps these nut jobs going! I live and have grown up in the city where these hate mongers live and trust me, no one here cares about them and you rarely see them out picketing IN TOWN anymore. Over the years 20/20 and all of the other various news outlets have done "specials" about them and THAT has been what has kept them going after everyone in this town finally stopped giving them the time of day. You can count on them showing up for any high profile funeral, they do it all the time. For once, don't let their presence be announced in their all time favorite way, large media outlets. Those that picket against them will know where they are going to show up no matter what, the rest of us would like it if we never had to hear about them again.

nate

westboro go to hell you are a pc a ****,you call yor a church hell no pls dont say that

patty

Westborough Baptist Church is lower than "pond skum." However, I would rather see them at Paterno's funeral that at a soldiers who lost his life protecting their sick A..es!

patty

When I heard Paterno had died, the first people I thought of that would be there to protest was the Westborough Baptist Church..I don't like these people and what they stand for which definitely isn't the God I know..I am sorry about his death, that is, his family loss..He was a great coach but he let innocent children down all for the sake of the WIN, WIN, WIN FOOTBALL GAME MENTALITY AT ANY COST! Innocent, trusting children who will live until their dieing day of the molestation they experienced by Sandusky and Penn State chose the football glory over innocent children.

Kelly

Burn in Hell, Nonce!

Ralph

these are not gods people... they are partraying it but these are the devils people twisiting words and throwing them back at ya in anyway they want they will say im passing judgment but they do not know Paterno's last days... weather or not he repented for his mistakes and asked for gods forgivness... But this is what they do pass judgement and ask us who we are to pass judgment on them when they are crazier then any new york gangster with their view of The Word.

Triggerman

I dealt with these idiots 20 years ago when they just showed up at Gay events. No one cared much then and they got no media. So they switched to Military funerals and everyone went crazy. They got the press and media they wanted. For some of us it was kinda, like where was everyone else 20 years ago? Same idiots spouting their own version of a bible and God. If their God is the real God, they can have him. I will go with Zeus.

gary

how could a church even think of doing such a bottomfeeding action .but i will bet any amount of money if they do this there will be violence this is the ultimate disrespect