« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Steven Tyler's National Anthem

Did It Suck?

1/22/2012 1:08 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0122_steven_tyler_video
"American Idol" judge Steven Tyler is finding himself on the other end of the criticism this afternoon ... he's being mercilessly attacked for his rendition of the National Anthem today.

Tyler, in a glittery New England Patriots scarf, sung "The Star Spangled Banner" before today's Raven/Patriots AFC Championship game.

Popular sports site Bleacher Report posted the video under the headline, "Watch Steven Tyler Butcher the National Anthem." Jason Whitlock, columnist for FOXsports.com, tweeted, "Steven Tyler far more obscene than Janet Jackson's t*tty."

To us, he sounded exactly like you'd expect Steven Tyler to. But we ask you ...

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Joe Blo

This is the reason why Idol is rigged. The judges should be selected from those who give out the record deals or producers. He cannot, I repeat cannot sing. Therefore why is he a judge on Idol?

glin

It wasn't great and it wasn't terrible. At least he remembered the words and didn't muddle it up with a ton of vocal acrobatics that is so typical of young singers today. I'd rather hear Steven sing it than Xtina Aguwhora any day.

BigBrian

No, he didn't suck. I mean he did make a small mistake, but at least he remembered most of the words, unlike some in the past.Soundwise, he was singing like the lead singer of Aerosmith, which, guess what...he is.

Rafaelle Zuccaro

Who picks IDIOTS like this to sing and ruin a song like that??? This guy is as ugly as his voice--It was worse than the Rosie Barr CRAP a while back_-- Why do we give CREEPS so much attention in events like this??? Next, we will see Charlie Sheen and Kim Kardashian sing in the Super Bowl---Maybe we should have a TIOLET BOWL for these 'STARS" to perform in!!!

Norvanz

Those who think his performance sucked don't have a clue. He sung the anthem well and gave it his rock n' roll trademark scream.

Bird

I loved it...Its that rasp and scream that makes him Steven...
He is a voice I always recognized for his unique sound..

Mavhak

What do people expect??? They asked Steven Tyler to sing not Ron Stewert!!!!

TheVolleyballGod

Tyler cannot sing, he never could because he is a studio voice enhanced singer, live he is god awful and you got to plug your ears. I was a huge Aerosmith fan in the late 70's then I saw them live in New Haven early 80's and they were the worse band I had ever seen live, his voice sucked back then and it still does. They are a phony studio band who sound like high school kids jammin in a basement live.. I would never ever give this band a penny after seeing them live

Raven

I thought he sounded like Steven Tyler........what is the issue?

P McGraw

I voted Yes because he is wearing Fur and that sucks !

Frani

I thought he did a great job. He has a style all his own.
He nailed those notes, and when he let out that scream
I thought it was amazing! Anyone that sings knows it ain't easy singing in front of all those people. Steven rocked, because he's a rocker. He's a living legend.

mikki moore

He sounded exactly as I expected he would, which was awesome!!!!!!! Loved it!

Cleveland Gal

Don't know what everyone is complaining about, I am sure his performance was awesome as usual. If you know Aerosmith and Steven Tyler and you hire him to to the National Anthem then you know his voice and you know he is going to put his own spin on it..So chill people!

Cleveland Gal

It is getting to the point to where no one should sing it, they should just do a recording to play at the games, that way no one will be attacked for singing it the wrong way according to them. Yes, I am a huge Aerosmith fan and don't like the bashing LOL

ashley

He did it in the aerosmith way i saw nothing wrong with it everyone needs to get a life and worry bout something more important