« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Steven Tyler's National Anthem

Did It Suck?

1/22/2012 1:08 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0122_steven_tyler_video
"American Idol" judge Steven Tyler is finding himself on the other end of the criticism this afternoon ... he's being mercilessly attacked for his rendition of the National Anthem today.

Tyler, in a glittery New England Patriots scarf, sung "The Star Spangled Banner" before today's Raven/Patriots AFC Championship game.

Popular sports site Bleacher Report posted the video under the headline, "Watch Steven Tyler Butcher the National Anthem." Jason Whitlock, columnist for FOXsports.com, tweeted, "Steven Tyler far more obscene than Janet Jackson's t*tty."

To us, he sounded exactly like you'd expect Steven Tyler to. But we ask you ...

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31

Sandy

He didn't suck. Roseann sucked, among many others. The people who hired him to sing the Anthem knew his style, blame them! He sang it with more emotion and heart than 90% of what we are subjected to. I had my doubts at first but I think he did a great job. And, I am truly one of the harshest critics around on the subject. There are not many people who can even come close.

Lisa Doyle

He just sounded like Steven Tyler. If you don't care for his style of singing, wouldn't enjoy it no matter what but if you are a Steven Tyler fan, he did just what he always does. If you want a traditional sound of the National Anthem then select a traditional singer.

greg

I can say this , you country style anthem you put a country singer up there , you want a pop sound you get a pop star, you want rocking roll style you get rockin roll star . whats the big deal ? he did it in the style he's known for obviously he aint no celine deon , he's steven tyler . that was who ever is in charge's bad for making there choice without thinking of what he might do , I think he did a great job , concidering all the noise and choas in the stadium . at least he did'nt pull a rosanne barr .

JG

He sucked, plain and simple, if his voice isn't suited for the song why hire him?

margaret

People are complaining about his voice, his rendition...At least he knew the words. The biggest disgrace is when someone doesn't know the words. Leave Steve alone.

shirley newton

hell no not a thing Ste ven Tyler does could ever suk.

paul

I guess white men can't sing either

jan

Ask someone like Steven Tyler to sing the National Anthem, and expect him to loose the persona that made him famous, I think not, he did fine with the Anthem..... Because of the scream no reason to be upset, should have expected it.
Congratulations for being true Steven.

PJTN

WHO THE HELL PICK THAT IDIOT??!!

MNcritic

Hey, let's give credit where credit is due. I say, blame the person who booked him! They knew what they were going to get. They should take the rap for this. If put in ST's position for such a huge event, would YOU have turned it down? Stop your whining everyone!

Elizabeth

I don't get wtf is wrong with it. Sounds like Steven Tyler to me. He hit the note better than a lot of people would....and the scream...well, it's Steven Tyler....and I didn't see a problem with it.

thesuz

He sounded like Steven Tyler and he was NOT disrespectful to the song. I actually liked it because it was "real" and he put alot in it!!

Jeremy

he ****ed up the lyrics

mmilon002

You can become a sports commentator by taking writing and journalism courses.
You need to keep up with all statistics.
It is a great way to get all sports news and equipment.
It also encourages people to comment,
which is something we all want!
bubatv
stream

Dave

Yeah, the national anthem suck. sounds lame.

Previous 15 Comments | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31