Pat Sajak

I Was Drunk

on 'Wheel of Fortune'

1/26/2012 6:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0126_pat_sajak_launch
Pat Sajak used to be WASTED on "Wheel of Fortune" back in the 80s -- this according to the game show host himself.

Pat made the confession during an interview with Dan Le Batard -- claiming in the old days, he would down "two, three, or six" margaritas at a Mexican joint near NBC studios during the show's 2-hour dinner break ... before heading back to finish taping.

According to Pat, Vanna was also guilty of drinking on the job -- but they've since stopped the mid-show imbibing tradition.

Pat added, they were so drunk ... they would often "have trouble recognizing the alphabet."

brothermouzone

If you had any questions before about whether or not Pat Sajak is the man, this should erase all doubts...

XYZ

LMAO!! (And way to throw Vanna under the bus, geez)

Trevis Miho

HAHAHAHAHA, THAT'S AWESOME!! I wanna watch some re-runs now!

MIDNIGHT TOKER

he must be coming out with a book because he needs something to help sell it..drunk my butt..I watched it all the time in the 80's and he was never drunk..

the sea

Yesterday's news.

Bob

I really don't see what the big deal is, for years the rest of us had to be drunk to watch it!

Sapphiegirl

I'd like to buy a vodka...I mean a vowel. LOL

The PMG

Could you imagine Pat and Vanna drunk off their as$es at a sports bar next to a wall of televisions?

KicksandGiggles

Thanks Pat, that explains ALOT!!!

anony

I thought he was always drunk.

TiltDogg

This was very common for early gameshows. I've never heard anyone speak of wheel of fortune before, but I do recall watching a "behind the scenes" type of do***entary on early shows and learned that Gene Rayburn (sp?) and the panel on The Match Game were fairly regularly loaded. As it was told, you could always tell the shows that were taped early in the day vs. later in the day... the night tapings got a bit crazy cuz everyone was hammered.

Ah... those were the days!

Mumra the Ever Living

Not a big deal Pat. I've always assumed that the only way you could actually watch that show was if you were hammered drunk.

Missy

Trouble recognizing the letters? LOL those were pretty big letters!

Milf Biggenson

Did anyone watch the video interview in its entirety? Pat's tongue is firmly planted in cheek when discussing this and you can tell he's kind of exaggerating for the sake of having fun. This wasn't a big reveal, just a goofy anecdote, now completely blown out of proportion.

sean

This was back in the 80s when you had to spend your prize money on their crappy merchandise. Wonder how many times a drunken Sajak stumbled backstage and mounted the ceramic Dalmatian.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments