Struggling Soap Actor

Commits Suicide After

Euthanizing Beloved Dog

1/28/2012 5:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Nick Santino and his beloved dog
A soap actor killed himself this week on his 47th birthday ... hours after he was forced to put his beloved dog to sleep under pressure from his Manhattan condo.

According to the NY Post the building had a ban on pit-bulls, but Nick Santino's dog had been grandfathered in ... which didn't sit well with some of the neighbors. Some claimed the dog was loud and aggressive, but others said building management was just harassing Santino ... trying to force him to get rid of the dog.

Santino had Rocco put to sleep on Tuesday -- for some reason he felt that was his only option.

According to the paper, a tearful Santino brought dog treats to the doorman and said, "Give these to the other dogs. Rocco is no more."

Later that day Santino left a suicide note that read, "Today I betrayed my best friend and put down my best friend ... Rocco trusted me and I failed him. He didn't deserve this."

Santino -- who has appeared on "All My Children" and "The Guiding Light" -- OD'd on pills early the next morning.

Rocco was cremated and friends told the Post Santino will be too.

charmer73

Such a sad and terrible story...really, I guess he felt like he couldn't find another place to live, I think the damn owner and other renters should be soo ashamed of themselves, this man was all alone and this was HIS FAMILY!! Really, they have such uncompassionate and cruel people who make up our world today, to make him do such a horrid thing, and I do agree with another commenter who said, he could have found another home for him, so they could at least have adopted him out, or even put him in a fostering shelter until such time he could find another place to live, so sorry for his family, if he had any, prayers go out to them..

Dawn

the vote on sympathy and the pitt bull issue with this article is in poor taste in view of the tragic loss of life.

jason

I lead a lousy and lonely life with a crappy job and few friends yet I go on. This guy had it all and he killed himself over a dog?? Jeesh, some people just do not deserve or do not know what to do with the gifts they are given. This guy must have been a real mess!

cokeandpilates

Obviously, there are some much deeper issues here. I think maybe he thought if he couldn't have the dog, no one else could either. Personally, I would have moved out. His building management sounds like a bunch of thugs and I certainly wouldn't have euthanized a dog that I had every right to own.

bree

CLearly this man was mentally unstable and no one bothered to help him.

Lauren

I encourage those of you voting yes to this poll to do a little research. The fact is, pit bulls score better on temperment tests than most and have done so for years. The horror stories we often see in the media are played up for the purpose of pointing blame at the dog rather than the owner.

pragmatist

this is one area where pragmatist is not a pragmatist. I understand pet love very well. My pet gets everything in my will in case i die before him. Specific places for him to live and a salary to easily last his lifespan. Specific conditions on receiving a salary and redundant executors to assure his well being in my absentia. He loves me unconditionally and I would be sick if anything happened to him. Like others said, I would move 100000000 times before ever giving up my pet. I love you Lucky! I feel terrible for this poor guy.

Barbarascy

There has got to be more to this story. I just can't believe that this happened this way for these reasons. Who would euthanize a healthy dog even if it is a Pit if the dog hadn't attacked anybody? This makes no sense. There had to be other things going on in this man's life. He had his dog killed and then he killed himself. This man was in a lot of pain and the dog situation did not help.

xntrick

To ginger, I was attacked by the 'sweetest' black lab when I was six, had to get stiches in my face. Does that mean peolpe refuse to see how dangerous labs are???? I dont think so! Sorry but i think you are wrong, the fear of your experience has turned you against an innocent breed of dog.

Creedmoor

What a miserable loser this guy was. Instead of moving, he kills the dog and then himself. Housing is at a premium as in in New York. Good ****ing riddance!

Hector

do u know why kids are more attacked? because u were a dumb kid rough playing with the dog pulling its tail hitting it that why they bite you, for you to STOP

Hector

Humans are more dangerous than dogs.....
i have 5 pitbulls and each one has not hurt anybody or anything. dogs can be trained but stupid human who dont know how let them kill or attack anything. be smart and train your pet.

pretty-n-pit

"You think pitbulls are dangerous? Have you seen who's running our country?

Megan

#XnTrick - the only difference? A lab won't kill you, a pitt will.

Megan

#WhiteBoyDay - you make the point against pitts perfectly. The only reason we hear about pitt attacks is because they can result in DEATH, unlike the other dog breeds you list. Thank you for making our point!