Don Cornelius

Ex-Wife Scores Huge

Life Insurance Payout

2/1/2012 1:27 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Viktoria Chapman Cornelius
Don Cornelius
died with 2 life insurance policies worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the ex-wife he hated will get all the money ... TMZ has learned.

Don's breakup with Viktoria Chapman Cornelius was brutal. He was convicted of domestic abuse and, according to him, she pepper sprayed him multiple times.

During the divorce in 2009, Don said in legal docs obtained by TMZ, 'I am 72 years old. I have significant health issues. I want to finalize this divorce before I die."

The divorce was indeed finalized later that year, but there's a provision in the settlement agreement that says Don must make Viktoria the beneficiary of both of his life insurance policies -- totaling around $300,000 in benefits.

Under California law, if a policyholder commits suicide within 2 years of the time the policy is issued, the company can deny payment. But Don had the policy for more than 2 years, so Viktoria -- the woman he despised -- will get the loot.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Oh Ren Ishii

first....and nice.

Different Rules Apply

Are you sure?? I thought suicide negates any chance of collecting an insurance policy. So, we can't pay the bills, I'll off myself and the wife can get the cash??? It doesn't make sense to me.

jdub

Yeah I'm pretty sure if someone commits suicide their life insurance policies cannot be collected.

AGENT smith

suicide equals no insurance pay out...tmz????

AGENT smith

tmz legal team is retarded

Alykatt

This is why you needed to keep all your paperwork up to date!

Yeah right ...

KIM CATTRALL?!?

Abe

Viktoria had huge, massive hooters. Any man who marries a woman like deserves all the grief he gets in his marriage.

x

Mis

My dad killed himself and we didnt get any of the insurance policies he had.. thats ****ed up.

croc

whoa, sorry but i didnt expect that.
and it sounds like he just wanted to dump her and move on.
she's pretty. maybe not so nice though.
he killed himself so she wouldnt get any money.
suicide...

jeff

I wonder if they met in high school? Let me guess, they had alot in common. They both loved HIS money. White women are some serious money grubbing whores! Proved daily on this site.

miller

"the woman he despised" Excuse me, wasn't Don arrested for felony domestic violence against her in 2008 and didn't she get a restraining order against him in 2009? Why the hell are you idiots describing a victim of domestic violence as "the woman he despised"

liquid kitty

Condolences to Tony and the rest of the family. He went out knowing she'd get nada.

Ty

Damn you guys at TMZ can be annoying. Sometimes you write how some woman getting 20k is just huge money, sometimes its 300k, then there are times when a mil is nothing special. And its always rich people, so its not even a thing of context... just ridiculous contradictory statements.

lola_uk

you gotta love the law...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments