'American Idol' Contestant's Dad

I Was Not in Rehab

When My Son Auditioned!

2/5/2012 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0205_idol_contestant_tmz_wm_ex
Ethan Jones made it to Hollywood this week on "American Idol" and told a story about how his dad was in rehab -- but Todd Jones wants to clear the air ... he was not actually in rehab when his son auditioned.

Ethan explained on the show (see below) that he was in a band back in St. Louis with his dad, but pops had to leave the band to go to rehab. Steven Tyler, no stranger to addiction, even said, "I want to meet your father when he gets out."

But Todd tells TMZ he's out of rehab for six months and couldn't be with his son at the audition because he was attending a funeral.

Jones says he'd love to take Tyler up on his offer to meet feels it would be "enlightening" to hear Tyler's experiences.

Lana Barnett

That's not what happened, disappointed in your "fact checking", the kid said his dad wasn't in his band because he had to go to rehab and stay out of that environment and someone asked him where is dad was today and he said he had to be somewhere else. The kid even called hid dad to tell him he made it and the dad said "I'm staying clean son." WOW, did ya'll get this wrong.

Kari

This story officially means this is a slow news day.

KenzieQ

Ugh stupid producers have to manipulate the stories and then the people get caught with their embellishments and then the show never takes responsibility for their part in any of it. Every year the same thing.

Hep

That's what they get for falling for all those hard luck stories. Now, a contestant won't show up without a carefully scripted tear jerker. True or not.

tgrfan42069

my fave sob stories this year.were the two women..who divorced to follow their dream because.their husband was "holding them back" i mean really.

Ozzie X

TMZ is becoming the number one source of unimportant and irrelevant news.

bobbo

American Idol killed music.

Sandra

Who cares!! American Idol is so pathetic with all their sob stories!! The show has gone down the drain and Randy has become a pain in the ass!!

Marie

First thing I thought, when I saw the picture of the dad, is that he looks a whole lot like David Bowie. Then, I read that his last name is Jones... Could they be related???

Jim

Lot of stupid comments on here. Read the first 3 posts by those idiots and couldn't go any further. What sad lives some people live to write such ignorant crap about two people they don't know and never will know.

Seldombinlaid

I'm hearing banjo music. Why is that? Dad let your Son shine, and you stay out of it. You might also stay in contact with him, so he knows whow his Dad's doing.

New Orleans

Nice way to be a doochey dad. Hope your kid finds out he was adopted.

scoopie

I hate the direction AI went with everyone trying to capture viewers' attention saying stuff like "this is for my children", which takes away from any major stuff like for instance, Danny Gokey losing his wife. Not that having children is unimportant, just that it's overkill.

R

Dad's after shave cologne is Eau de Desperation.

Snowman with a Turnip Nose

"Tell us a little bit about your dad" - cue -> sad piano music -> "I'm not mad... wanna move forward... bla bla bla". How about they make it even more obvious with a caption that reads "dear viewer, you're being manipulated!" If Sharon Osbourne were on that jury his dad would be a cancer patient. Count on it!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments