Matt Lauer

I'll Stay at 'Today' ...

If You Pay Me a Fortune

2/10/2012 5:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0209_matt_lauer_tmz_EX
Matt Lauer has softened his position about leaving "Today" in December at the end of his contract -- that is, if NBC antes up a record amount of money.

Sources connected to NBC tell TMZ ... Lauer was done with "Today" and wanted out -- but the word at the network is he will now re-sign if NBC ponies up way more than the $17 mil he's currently making.

We're told negotiations are now ongoing -- but if NBC agrees ... Lauer could score as much as $30 MILLION a year.

As for why the change of heart -- there are two schools of thought according to network sources. Some say Lauer changed his mind when network execs made it clear they were extremely interested in tapping Ryan Seacrest as Matt's replacement -- in other words, he got a little jealous.

But there's another school of thought -- that Lauer has wanted to re-sign all along and just played the "I'm leaving" card to score a bigger pay day.

As for whether Lauer is worth $30 mil ... to put it in context, "Today" makes roughly $450 million a year for the network ... more than any other show on NBC.

So we gotta ask ...

Previous 15 Comments | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11

DJ

74% no. What a douche

Lewis

I really dislike Ann Curry so much I will not watch Today show Plays with her hair leans over so far she is about to fall in any ones lap.What a mess she is when she is told 'GET OUT' WE will watch Today again. Matt the CHEATER give him a big raise when his wife leaves him she will get. half and so will his kids. He has easy job he just sets and reads every thing.Makes big mistakes Black suit brown shoes white jump suit PLEASE that was terrible.Who ever sent Ann Curry to the play offs should be fired. Matt will have more money to cheat with we think. Ann Curry makes more mistakes than she should.Good by Good by, go screw up some were else

Michele from Ohio

How is he being ungrateful? He asked for more and got it. Wouldn't it be grand to walk into your boss's office and say, I think I'm done working here. They say what would it take to keep you, and you through out an enormous figure and they said OK. Sounds good to me.

Theresa Buccino

I think it is nuts to pay Matt 30 million and I like Matt but give me a frickin break. no one is worth 30 million. If Ann Curry leaves I too will leave the Today Show after 30 years watching. I watched Matt Al and Ann grow up on this show or age with me.....Please do not move Savannah into Ann spot......

Dolores

Matt should go! Ann should stay! She is worth every penny NBC pays her.

Dawn

He's not as great as he thinks he is. Nor as good as apparently NBC thinks either.
He should be getting the boot not poor Anne.

Cynthia

I quit watching the Today show because of Matt Lauer and now enjoy watching Good Morning America.

Doty

Everyone sees Ann Curry as the problem, but from what I've seen Matt Lauer doesn't know how to interview. He needs to take notes from Bryant Gumble

Lynn Goldberg

i would have Ann any day before Matt....She is smart, beautiful and Matt was just plain jealous ~ too bad Ann is the skapegoat for the lame ratings NBC had!

cheryl

If Matt has help make the ratings over the last several years,network makes450M.Then yes he should get 20-30 M. I feel he has kept the show on track many times while on air. Others on the show make a joke of stories at times and comments inappropriate. He is professional and continues to do his job well.

MARIE JOHNSON

No I don't believe Matt Lauer is worth $30million. But it was very unprofessional to dismiss Ann the way "Today" did. I hope she comes out on top of whatever she does,and Today get a BIG slap in the face for under-minding to replacing her. Why "BLAME" Ann for someone else huge mistake???

rhondanoon@hotmail.com

I am done with Today. They have lost another to GMA. Matt can hit the road. I enjoyed and appreciated Ann. Big mistake.

Previous 15 Comments | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11