Whitney Houston

Family Divided Over Burial

2/14/2012 5:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

There is a rift in Whitney Houston's family over where she should be laid to restThere's a rift in Whitney Houston's family over where she should be laid to rest ... TMZ has learned.

Family sources tell us ... Dionne Warwick, Whitney's cousin, and Cissy Houston, Whitney's mom, both want the burial to take place in Atlanta. They believe Atlanta is the place Whitney enjoyed the most and had the fondest memories.

But the rest of the family wants Whitney buried in Newark -- where she was born, and subsequently discovered at a local Baptist church (below).

We're told Cissy's position is succinct: "Michael Jackson did not want to be buried in Neverland, and Whitney did not want to be buried in New Jersey."

We're told Cissy and Dionne caved, after other family members convinced them New Jersey is where the world will remember her most.

It's unclear why they think the world will remember Whitney more in Newark than ATL.

No offense New Jersey.

AmyBee

Funny, I knew very little of Whitney Houston, but I did know she lived in and loved ATL.

Andreas Moser

The most moving obituary about Whitney Houston: http://andreasmoser.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/whitney-houston-1963-2012/

Miss MJ

With all due respect to Cissy Houston and Dionne Warwick, New Jersey doesn't make sense for Michael Jackson. He was born in Gary, Indiana and spent most of his adult life in California. Aside from spending time with friends, namely Rabbi Shmuley and the Cascio family, Michael didn't have roots in NJ. Whitney Houston's burial makes sense in NJ - she was born in Newark, she got her start there, and has owned a mansion in Menham, NJ for decades. Additionally, she has relatives in NJ and would visit here quite often. The most appropriate place for Whitney would be wherever would be most comforting for her DAUGHTER. Let Bobbi Kristina choose Whitney's final resting place since SHE is the most affected by this tragic, sad story.

mddiva35

I think you guys meant Michael Jackson didn't want to buried in Gary, Indiana, not New Jersey. What connection could he possibly have to New Jersey other than probably performed there once or twice. Despite New Jersey's shoddy reputation it has some of the wealthiest communities in the nation. But Newark is truly the pits. Unless they bury her in one of the ritzy cemetaries in NJ I would take her to ATL. Whitney was born and raised in NJ and spent a great deal of her adult life in NJ. She married Bobby Brown at her home in NJ. She moved to ATL later in life during her downfall and I even believed sold her home there after her divorce from Bobby Brown. So she should be buried in NJ.

JClay

I don't know much about her life in Atlanta but I always knew very well that she was from here in Jersey. I think it is fitting she will be buried here back home. It is her daughter's decision legally as next of kin as she is now of age. I am sure though Cissy would have a large input.

PrettyJones

WHO CARES! I wish they would just let her family mourne in peace. smh

TheVolleyballGod

Where are the men in these old ladies lives. How many times did Warwick smoke pot with Whitney.Whitney never had a chance being raised by these 2 knuckle heads

JClay

Liz

It should be up to the parents! Plain and simple. Unless, Whitney specified something different in a Will.

Kari

I'm sorry she died (though don't understand why people are surprised), and I hope she rests in peace, but I am really tired of this story.

B

Newark is filled with so much gun violence and drugs, so much so the police do not even respond to a car accident because they say 'it distracts them from drug busts and shootings' I honestly hope her family reconsiders. I can see having her funeral mass there, but buried? There is no nice place for burial anymore. Newark then when Whitney sang and grew up is nothing like Newark now.

aphrodite511

Directed to your Editor: Any positions open? If you paid anyone a red cent to tell you an e-article was correctly edited stating that Cissy Houston gives a good hoot right now about someone buried long ago, I'd like in on that action. KTHXBY

Miss MJ

With all due respect to Cissy Houston, I fail to see the comparison with Michael Jackson. He was born in Indiana and spent most of his adult life in California. Whitney was born in Newark, NJ, got her start there, and has had a house in Mendham, NJ for many decades. New Jersey makes sense. I didn't even realize there was an Atlanta connection with Whitney? New Jersey DOES make sense, but what about a convenient place for Bobbi Christina to be able to "visit" her mother? Where does Bobbi Christina live? I think HER wishes need to be heard the loudest, since she will be the most affected by this tragic situation. RIP Whitney Houston. You are the gold standard by which all compare themselves to. I'm so sorry for all your troubles. Be at peace now.

Susie-Q

I can barely believe this is a true story. Family members or a will does not dicatate where and how she would be buried if she passed. If this is true, I am feeling as though there would be no will at all. Her estimated worth is $80million. I hope it goes to her daughter. Her Mother should have the say and if her Mother is in new Jersey it would make sense she would want her daughters remains close to her so she can grieve her accordingly.

JustMy2CentsWorth

Did anyone know that Whitney was from Jersey?? I didn't.
I think Cissy and Bobbi Kristina's are the only votes that count. The rest of the 'family' (and who exactly are they?) need to be supportive.