Whitney Houston Funeral

Fans Create Memorial Outside

of Church

2/18/2012 6:52 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

A makeshift Whitney Houston memorial outside the New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, NJ.
Hours before the funeral of Whitney Houston is set to take place, fans left a slew of balloons in a makeshift memorial outside the New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, NJ.

Around 1,500 invited guests will pay their last respects today -- among them... Kevin CostnerAretha FranklinStevie Wonder, Revs. Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton.

We'll be live outside the church starting at 10:00 AM ET/7:00 AM PT and then we'll be live inside the church for the service, which is scheduled to start at 12:00 PM ET/9:00 AM PT.

Brenda

That's not a memorial....that's a birthday party!

malinda

I can't believe the family allowed TMZ in with cameras!

A Fletch

They should send all the balloons and party favors to hospitals of our sick, those in military hospitals, etc. to boost the spirits of the living.... Just my opinion.

Lucille

Those balloons are pretty, I'm glad they kept them there for the funeral instead of removing them. It's a nice nod to the fans that put them there.

pam

All the fussing about 'songs' IMO the Media should or did not need include 'I will always love you' because my favorite WHITNEY HOUSTON SONG , WHICH WAS HERS.....WAS "GREATEST LOVE"
AND IT IS HOW WE TREAT OTHERS THAT DEFINES WHO WE ARE. NOT AN ILLNESS.

parlayer

As much Hot air in those balloons as in the church.

mkmnurse

RIP WHITNEY. YOU WILL BE MISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

megan

I was at the church last night to pay my respect. People had gathered into a circle in the street to sing and dance. The vibe in that circle was healing, loving, and positive. Balloons, flowers, candles everywhere. But the cards...they should be given to Bobbi. So many people in this city loved Whitney. It's been a beautiful thing to witness. Love is everywhere.

n3rdopolis

Hello. I found someone using a doctored version of the picture on this webpage. It's here. https://p.twimg.com/Al9DA3nCAAELsCE.jpg . Please sue them. Thanks.

Deb

Love the flashing marquee outside the church. As if she's performing there. Hmmm....

Travis Fields

Dear Lord, Her family is acting despicable. She was a normal human with a gift and they have made this into a carnival. Also, how dare they treat young Bobbi this way by disrespecting her father. If they truly cared about Bobbi Kristina they would have wanted her to be with her father at this time. Bobby Brown actually has his own wealth... perhaps Whitney's family is scared they have lost or will lose their cash flow. Sickening...

She She

I love TMZ and watch every night. Thanks for all you do. Can I just say, and will somebody PLEASE say it....the downfall of Whitney Houston was BOBBY BROWN, sorry Bobbie Cristina, but it is true. I grew up with Whitney, bought her cds, went to her concerts and then came Bobbie Brown which put an end to it all. Shame on you Bobbie. Love you Whitney and I am happy you are out of your misery. You will be missed as there was and will not be anybody like you. (All you have to do is listen to the Star Spanglen banner and you know what I mean!)