'Seinfeld' Star

Survives Suicide Attempt

'I've Shot Myself in the Head'

2/22/2012 12:04 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0_10aps5wi_0_k91dhs70
Daniel von Bargen
-- who played Mr. Kruger in "Seinfeld" -- is clinging to life in an Ohio hospital after shooting himself in the head Monday morning in a failed suicide attempt ... and TMZ has the horrifying 911 tape in which he calls for help.

Daniel tells the 911 operator, "I've shot myself in the head ... and I need help."

The operator asks if it was an accident -- Daniel replies, "I was supposed to go to the hospital and I didn't want to." Daniel says he's diabetic, explaining, "They were supposed to amputate at least a few toes."

The operator asks where the gunshot wound is -- Daniel replies, "I shot in my temple."

Law enforcement officials confirm they were dispatched to von Bargen's Cincinnati apartment complex a short time later -- and when they arrived, you can hear them on the 911 tape ... yelling at Daniel to keep his hands where they could see them.

Von Bargen -- who also played Chief Grady in "Super Troopers" -- was transported to a nearby hospital where he is currently in critical condition.

During the call, Daniel goes into even more graphic detail about his condition. Listen at your own discretion.

0221_daniel_von_bargen_footer

Nex

"Do you have her phone number at the top of your head?" -- No, the top of my head has been blown off :(

Rick

...did the dispatcher really ask, "do you know her number OFF THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD"...come on..really?

ShamefulNot

Boy, some of you people should just shut your pie holes. If any of you ever gets into the position of being severely chronically ill and have your life fall apart, we'll see how well you dumb asses hold up. To Mr. von Bargen, I sincerely hope you are able to recover, both physically & mentally. My prayers are with you.

Susan

God love him

Erin

TMZ, Why would you make this public? I am so disgusted with your lack of humanity that I will never watch your show again. It is appalling that you would exploit someone who is obviously is so much pain.

Erin

I met Dan many years ago, and even socialized with him a couple of times. He is a great guy, and it breaks my heart. He is a fine actor and my prayers go out to him and his sisters. Hang in there Dan, you can pull through this. xo

Ben

this is profoundly sad. I can't imagine wanting to listen to the audio. What provokes you to want to hear a man talk about shooting himself in the head? I seriously don't understand the need for this. it's sick.

Sid

I can't believe this. He is such a good actor. Hope he pulls through.

deb c

do you know her phone number off the top of your head REALLY? off the top of his head? that's goooood!

Angie Diego

Suicide is the most noble way to die. Why go on being a burden to your family, kids, and the public health system? If you are nothing but a rotten sack of pus, do yourself in. But be sure you succeed at it.

not medicated

Couldn't get his mind around another bullet in the head...(wait for it..)

brad

Maan. This is pretty bizarre. How do you shoot yourself in the temple with a .38 pistol and still survive and talk to the 911 people?

I bet it was a gruesome scene when the cops got there. Hard to believe that this guy used to be on the megahit TV show "Seinfeld".

I guess he figured that shooting himself was the easiest way to deal with his bad diabetes problem.

Gotta admit, if I had to have one of my arms or legs cut off, I might think about doing what he did a few times. Who wants to be so dependent on other people? Let's face it, most people don't particularly like to hang out with people that have terrible diseases or mangled bodies.

I hope Daniel is alright and he recovers. That Congresswoman Gabby Giffords who got shot in the head by that nutcase seems to be okay nowadays. I'm sure Jerry Seinfeld and the rest of the cast might visit him soon if he recovers. They should at least call him or send him something in the mail.

Lisa

God bless you Mr. von Bargen. I'll be praying for you. I hope you'll be all right, and get the help you need.

kendall

TMZ IS THE LOWEST,MOST DISGUSTING SHOW EVER TO COME ON THE AIR. THEY EXPLOIT ANYONE,ANYTHING.... SAVAGES

frogfactory

Wow. The comments here, and the fact that someone thought it was a good idea to post the 911 tape on a magazine website, are all astounding. Stay classy, Internet.

I hope Mr von Bargen gets the help he needs with recovery from his injury and his suicidal state of mind. Best wishes to him.