'Seinfeld' Star

Survives Suicide Attempt

'I've Shot Myself in the Head'

2/22/2012 12:04 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0_10aps5wi_0_k91dhs70
Daniel von Bargen
-- who played Mr. Kruger in "Seinfeld" -- is clinging to life in an Ohio hospital after shooting himself in the head Monday morning in a failed suicide attempt ... and TMZ has the horrifying 911 tape in which he calls for help.

Daniel tells the 911 operator, "I've shot myself in the head ... and I need help."

The operator asks if it was an accident -- Daniel replies, "I was supposed to go to the hospital and I didn't want to." Daniel says he's diabetic, explaining, "They were supposed to amputate at least a few toes."

The operator asks where the gunshot wound is -- Daniel replies, "I shot in my temple."

Law enforcement officials confirm they were dispatched to von Bargen's Cincinnati apartment complex a short time later -- and when they arrived, you can hear them on the 911 tape ... yelling at Daniel to keep his hands where they could see them.

Von Bargen -- who also played Chief Grady in "Super Troopers" -- was transported to a nearby hospital where he is currently in critical condition.

During the call, Daniel goes into even more graphic detail about his condition. Listen at your own discretion.

0221_daniel_von_bargen_footer

Emily

My prayers go to Daniel von Bargen.... Please, make a good recovery. I love you and hope you are doing okay....

Lau2u

Good Lord! This makes me SO sad...poor guy! :-(

alli

Stop the seinfeld references - have some compassion for this person for god's sake.

charles in charge

Put the gun down right meow!

Bud D

hey man, lousy shot.

amanda

May God be with him...this just broke my heart.

Austin

Did he say he s*** his pants at :53?

Gracie

How heartbreaking for this poor man and what a great 911 operator.

Jon Smiff

Considering the CPD was involved the bigger story should be the CPD actually helped someone instead of needlessly escalating the situation further.

dick trickle

If Constanza didn't airbrush his family beach photo this would have never happened

marlowe

The operator at one point asks Mr von Bargen if he knows where his sister lives "off the top of your head." An unfortunate choice of words!

Erik

This is where Dr. Kevorkian would have come in handy.

Erik

Poor guy. This is very sad. It seems like he will be blind. I hope not, I hope they can fix that somehow. It sounds like he immediately regretted what he did after it was too late. I don't know why the operator is asking "why" he shot himself. Shouldn't he be focusing more on comforting him until the ambulance arrives? And why the hell do "we" know about about this. Why is this for everybody to hear? I wouldn't want this out in the public if this happened to me. I know he is an actor but damn. I really hope he gets better.

ZSR

"Do you know her phone number off the top of your head?" Classic.

fly lady

I hope this poor man pulls thru.. He must have been in a lot of mental pain...