Gerard Butler

In Rehab [Update]

2/24/2012 1:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0223_gerard_butler_exupdate_bar
12:04 PM PST --
Gerard's manager, Alan Siegel tells TMZ, "Gerard left Betty Ford early this morning and he's healthy."

----------------------------------------------------------

Gerard Butler
is being treated for substance abuse at the Betty Ford Center ... TMZ has learned.

Butler's problems were triggered by the physical demands of shooting "300" in 2006 (see video below of Gerard preparing for the role). We're told the actor began struggling with pain management, and the problem became exacerbated while filming "Of Men and Mavericks," when Butler was badly hurt on December 18 during a surfing accident.

We're told Butler realized he was relying too much on prescription drugs and decided to head off a full-blown addiction by entering Betty Ford three weeks ago.

Sources tell TMZ ... Butler also developed issues with cocaine, but the root problem appears to be the injuries and pain management.

We're told Butler will be leaving Betty Ford later today.

0224_gerard_butler_through_footer_v2

Glenda in Texas

What goes around, comes around... says Blanket Jackson.

Johnny Carcinoma

He's probably just suffering as a result of watching his post-300 movies. I know I am.

colfrmb

I think it takes at least 3 weeks just to get most drugs out of your system let alone learn the behaviors to keep yourself healthy. Hope it works.

Seldombinlaid

Glad to see he recognized a problem, and took care of it. It takes a big person to do that on their own.

shewentwhoa

not him!!!!! I love him

wisey

So hes a coke head, but injuries are the root of the problem?

For some reason Im guessing the root of the problem is he loves coke.

Dan Frederiksen

the story sounded pretty innocent up until 'issues with cocaine' :)

Daneen2fabulous

Oh at least he's not hospitalized for "exhaustion"....

Mel

I wish Gerard Butler all the best. I have worked in a pharmacy and have seen first hand people addicted to pain killers. I have also had prescriptions drug problems and sought help last year. It hard to do especially in the public eye.

kim

GOOD!!! HE REALLY NEEDS THE HELP AFTER ALL HE'S IS DEALING WITH THAT "S T U P I D" "B I T C H"...

TMZer

The cocaine would explain the major weight loss. I think he was better looking when he had some meat on his bones!

Throwback kid

I guess this wimp couldn't have played football? It was painful filming a make believe Hollywood movie where he needed painkillers? Try playing a sport that causes pain all the time Gerard, Oh boy, another pampered Hollywood make believe tough guy

Stilts

Abusing drugs and drink...It's a Scottish hing, ye wouldnae unnerstan... Git weil ma Paisley buddy...

Reyna38

im sad to hear of this news.. he is a wonderful actor.. i came too fall in love with him after watching Dracula 2000.. and damn it .. he is too find.. he looks older than his age.. amd im 40 and look 25.... so to Gerald please take care... cus one day im going to take you out to dinner and have my way with you ........ lol... ok maybe lunch ..

Mikey

It wasn't until he woke up and found that he had slept with one of the real housewives that realized he had a problem. Good for you.