« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

John Cena

I'm Still Kicking Off Daytona!

2/26/2012 5:37 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0226_john_cena_getty_ex
WWE star John Cena will still wave the honorary green starter flag at the Daytona 500 tomorrow -- despite rumors the wrestling star would be forced to miss the race ... TMZ has learned.

In case you didn't know, the Daytona 500 was rained out today for the first time in its 54-year history and pushed back to tomorrow at noon.

There were several reports ... Cena would have to miss the race because he's also scheduled to appear at Monday Night RAW in Portland, Oregon.

But a rep for the WWE tells TMZ, "John Cena will still start the Daytona 500 off by waving the green flag and saying drivers start your engines."

The rep adds, "Shortly after he'll fly to Portland, Oregon to be at Monday Night RAW."

Busy day.

update_bar
February 27, 7:20 AM PT -- The Daytona 500 start was pushed back to 7 P.M. Monday night which means Cena can no longer make an appearance at the race.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

StevenB

I bet there are some places that will have a sudden epidemic of 24-hour flu bugs tomorrow so people can stay home and watch the race.

Bryan

And the amount of Fu** is staggering.

Laura

Whats John going to do when he finds out that it will probably be raining again tomorrow forcing the Daytona 500 to race Tuesday!

Bob Goins

It will be raining tomorrow as well today had a 60% chance and tomorrow has a 80% chance and being that it poured all day today then it will be pushed to tuesday when he should be in seattle

static

I'll sleep better tonight knowing that.

bunny

I see we're also stuck with the Rock tomorrow night. If John Cena would rather stay at Daytona, that's not a problem. Oregonians are ruthless and would just boo Cena.

Jim in Cali

Race starts at 9AM Pacific and RAW starts at 6PM Pacific. That's 9 hours. Plenty of time for a cross country trip on private jet

who cares

Really this guy to start the race?????? I guess they couldn't have just found a Vetran from our many wars to do the honors. Seems like entertainment is misguided and more and more politically motivated.

mssnarnd

This story is ho-hum except for the fact that my kids wanted tickets to the Eugene, Oregon show (which was tonight) as Christmas presents. So I bought them as a gift. John Cena has been promoted this entire time as the headliner. And, of course, he was a no show tonight because of his race appearance. I would have never paid the price I laid out for those tickets if I had known Cena was NOT going to show up. My kids were disappointed, I actually saw a little guy crying because Cena didn't show up. What a FRAUD.

Ivan Jaime

Love him or hate him, Cena is the hardest working man in the WWE.

Raging_Demons

Of course Cena will make it in time for RAW. He's Faster than a Speeding Bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, & able to make tall leaps in a single bound!

LadyN

Say what you want about Cena' but he's one of the hardest working wrestlers in the business, most of it quietly behind the scenes for Make a Wish Foundation and other charities. He doesn't miss a scheduled appearance unless he's in the hospital.

Shalon

This was the biggest rip off ever. My family and I have always been big NASCAR fans and usually attend the race at Texas Motor Speedway every year. Since my son and I recently moved to Florida we were going to see the Daytona 500. Needless to say we were both very excited. My tickets were 18th row and were $102 a piece. First of all it took 2 1/2 hours to drive the last 23 miles into Daytona due to the traffic. After arriving we parked in the parking lots provided by Daytona International Speedway which are about 4 miles from the actual track in an open field. We then rode on a cramped school bus to the track. Daytona has no where for fans to go in the event of rain unless you purchase a special ticket to go to one of the bars there on site. We spent the entire day huddled next to the men's bathroom to keep from getting wet since they also have a policy of NO UMBRELLAS! After they finally called the race tehre were many of us who are unable to return today because we have things to do at noon on a Monday like work or catch planes back to wherever we came from. I was disappointed about missing the race but based off my experience at TMS I thought I would either be refunded or given a ticket to another event. Neither of those were an option, in fact the track official told me that was simply the risk you take when you buy tickets to the Daytona 500. Then we were forced to stand in line for an hour waiting on the buses to go back to the parking lot, which was a nightmare since it isn't paved. Again, they had taken our umbrellas at the gate and there were no awnings or anything so we stood in the pouring rain for an entire hour waiting on the bus. It was by far the worst experience in my sporting event history and all I have to show for it is $204 worth of paper.

thomas

well the races has been pushed back to 7pm now so thats not happening now

J Live

One big thing to come out of yesterday is that Danica did not crash.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments