Davy Jones’ Death

Revs Up Monkeemobile Mystery

2/29/2012 5:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

what the hell happened to the infamous Monkeemobile
The sudden death of Davy Jones today has re-opened the greatest mystery in television history -- what the hell happened to the infamous Monkeemobile??? And TMZ has the answer ...

For those of you under 55 ... the Monkeemobile is the modified Pontiac GTO made famous on the 1960s Monkees TV show -- and the second Davy died ... it became THE hot topic in the Monkees fan world.

Famed car customizer George Barris -- who built the car for the show -- tells TMZ, he's been getting calls non-stop ever since Davy passed away ... bombarded with questions like, “Where is the car? Is it still available? Can we see it? Can we take a photo with it?”

But there's one problem ... George doesn't have the car anymore -- he sold it at auction back in 2008 for roughly $500,000 ... to a Michigan man by the name of Mel Gutherie.

And Mel tells us, he's always open to fans taking pictures with the car -- but they better be willing to travel to the Midwest ... because he doesn't feel comfortable driving it very far. In fact, he had to have it TRUCKED to a Davy Jones concert in 2010, where Davy signed the hood (above).

Fun fact -- in approximately 40 years, the car has only racked up 8,000 miles.

0301_monkees_footer

greg

sorry but you are wrong the car is still owned by the guy in michigan

lexiheigh

"For anyone under the age of 50." I'm 51 and eventhough though I was still young enough to wear the PJs with the built-in feet, I remember quite well watching "The Monkees" on TV back in the day.........details:- http://www.newcanadanews.com/

Lisa Ann

Mr. Gutherie does not live in Livonia. His business is located in that city.

campy

I can't help but wonder about you people posting here...."Brings back memories" OF WHAT? I KNOW I WASN'T ALIVE YET!!

campy

Ok, just please someone answer me this: the Ghostbuster-mobile had a purpose. It helped trap the many ghosts in NYC that were loose. What purpose did the monkeymobile serve? Did the entire band get inside and drag race? Did the car have any special powers? Did it ever rain when they were in the monkeymobile?

EggsOverEasy

George Barris did not build the car, Dean Jeffries did, and later the car was purchased by Barris. Also the car sold for $360...,000, not for 500k to the Michigan collector. It's called Wikipedia TMZ, use it! :)

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

I remember when he sang to Jan on the Brady Bunch.

Girl, look what you've done to me.

Girl, Oh can't you see.

I'm thanking you Girl for make my whole day brighter.

Girl, for making the night time lighter.

Girl, for making a better world for me.

I'm thanking you Girl.

RIP Buddy.

campy

Well it's clear that I don't understand so I'll stop trying.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUSTIN BIEBER!!! ***18***

Jim

Dean Jeffries designed the car. The original show car is in Puerto Rico. Barris, the liar, owned the promotional car that appeared occasionally on the show. I just sw it at Barrett Jackson in Scotsdale last month for sale once again.

Caroline

This is not true, The second monkee mobile was sold at auction. The first monkee mobile is privately owned in New Jersey.

michele

what are ya talking about? the monkymobile is in every parade in westland mich. saw it last summer. call drew and mike from 101 wrif in detroit they know who to contact. had the guy on their radio program. and even got in trouble with it..

Jen

The owner Mel was on the radio here in the Detroit area this past summer because he brought The Monkeemobile to the Woodward Dream Cruise to show it off. They had an area where there were a few other well known cars, I think someone had a remake it KIT from Knight Rider too!

jennifer

Hey Harvey, you are about ten years older than me, and twenty older than anyone on your staff. How about you try to show a little maturity and respect at someone's death? You don't have to try so hard to be on the edge. Your website is well visited and well known. A nice man like Davey Jones passes away and you have to just jump to where is a car instead of saying God bless and being respectful? Think about it. Take care, and thank you for giving me a lot of entertainment at least 50 percent of the time when it doesn't become too silly. All I'm saying is, I think you can find a better medium even though I know I'm not your target audience. Thanks for your time in reading this. Jennifer

Bee

my mother sponsored an event just a couple months ago in michigan where davey jones and the owner of the monkee mobile + the monkee mobile itself showed up. I guess it was a great event, tonsss of ladies 40-80 that still adored Davey and he took pictures w/ them and the car for hours.

Michele

I met the guy from Michigan a few years ago at our Downriver Cruise in Michigan and wanted to talk to him about the auction because I saw it on TV and just to talk to him about the car in general and he was a complete ass. He walked away from me!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments